Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automating Variables and Data Sets

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to create a cross platform browser droplet that takes 14 jpegs from one folder and using variables and datasets imports them into a template. I can do this but it requires a lot of user interaction which defeats the object as it is for different users to use with little photoshop experience.

1. Sort by date created in folder A
  2. Batch rename and move to folder B
  3. Open Template psd
  4. Import Data Set ( a txt file) and apply to template psd
  5. Save Template psd as pdf or jpg in folder B>”for print” folder
  6. Clear template
  7. Move originals from folder B to  folder C as backup
  8. Close Save Template psd

I am creating an action set that opens a file in which I have created layers as variables to do pixel replacements. The data set is a txt file. And all works OK when I do it manually. However, not all the actions are being recorded for automation.

I have the action 4 for eg working as far as image>variables>data sets. But after that the commands are not being recorded. I have tried insert menu item but going further than “data sets” is not being recorded. So," import>select file>ok>use first row as... >replace existing data>ok>apply>ok" is not being recorded. The same for the other actions that require a file being selected etc.

I have installed the javascript scriptlistener but it is not recording the code either. It seems that some of the photoshop objects and variables are not accessible. Is this true or am I missing something

How should I be doing this please? I've watched loads of videos and done lots of research but I am at a dead  end.

Thanks, TallMeerkat

Windows 7, ps cs5

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread may be of use, Mike did some work on datasets....

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1751

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TalMeerKat,

In your action use the File > Import > Variable Data Sets... command. That should record more to your liking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Pete,

your solution just works perfectly under CC 2015.

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines