Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Average K Value of a File

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm looking for a way to find the average K (black) value of a file/channel.

The histogram window works well for black and white files. I just divide the # of pixels that are selected by the total pixels in the file to get the percentage.

This is harder when there are gray pixels of any quantity involved. Pixels of 51% K or higher get selected and added to that tally of pixels selected. And it ignores pixels lower than 50% K. I could isolate only the gray pixels and find the quantity of those pixels, excluding full white and full black. But even if I did so, I dont know how to get the average. Another helpful alternative/work around would be for it to tell me how many 100% K value pixels a given number of selected gray pixels equals. For example, 4 pixels at 50% K equals 2 pixels at 100% K. So if those two pixel situations existed in an 8 pixel file, both files would read as 25% K/black. 

Ultimately, that is the outcome I am looking for. A full file colored at 50% gray should read the same as a half white and half black file by whatever method used. Then I can be confident that any other tonal/gray file using any combination of white/black/gray pixels will fall correctly in the spectrum of 100%/full coverage to 0%/no coverage.

Let me know if I need to clarify and thanks for any help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Maybe duplicate the K channel and run Filter > Blur > Average on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no absolute K numbers.

Numbers are relative to the color space. That includes grayscale profile - the tone curves are different. The same visual value gives different numbers.

With a color RGB image, it's a double relative.

This will be calculated from the open document, via your working spaces to other modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. But suppose we chose a color space to be our standard, or in this case a specific grayscale profile. Wouldn't then the K values between files be relatable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you stick specifically to, say, Adobe RGB and Gray Gamma 2.2, then yes.

But if you want universally valid - convert to Lab and use the Lab L numbers. That's absolute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe duplicate the K channel and run Filter > Blur > Average on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks like it works! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines