Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backlighting Effect - How to make?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone!

I'm at my wits end with trying to figure out how to create this sort of backlit effect and apply it to text or a vector. I was experimenting with applying a gausian blur but that didnt seem to work right. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-02-28 165028.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Duplicate your layer or protect it within a Smart Object.

Filter > Blur > Radial Blur

• Change the Amount
  • Change Blur Method from Spin to Zoom
  • Click and drag within the small window to change the Blur Center

Change the blending mode to suit. Screen might work well. If using a Smart Object, double click the small icon to the right of Radial Blur within the Layers panel to change the Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

for a text I w

ould begin with effects and then duplicate an use a radial blur… has to work on it butb thats a way to explore

Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 13.03.51.png

Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 13.05.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

For anyone else that is following this thread, I did also come across these videos... Havent tried them yet personally but seems to give a similar effect:

Light Burst Text Effect in Photoshop - Light Burst Text Effect in Photoshop - YouTube

Illustrator Rays Burst Text Effect in Adobe Illustrator - Illustrator Rays Burst Text Effect in Adobe Illustrator - YouTube

Create Cinematic Light Rays in Adobe Photoshop! - Create Cinematic Light Rays in Adobe Photoshop! - YouTube

Light Ray Effect Photoshop Tut

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's so much going on there.  The Extrude has a pronounced taper, so I thought I might be able to do it with Eye Candy 7, but it's not working for me.  I have tried inner and outer glow, and used Create Layers (layer styles) to offset it, but it is nowhere near.  I haven't even started on the text effect yet. 🙂

BTW  I am using three of the key layers (each one being a Smart Object of the keys and text layers).  The key with text at the top, a copy below it for the lighter band, and a second copy at the bottom to apply the extrude to.

image.png

You can see that there is a front to back extrusion with taper, which has me thinking that Step & Repeat might work because you'd be extruding an outer stroke which would keep the wall effect.  That has me thinking that the TextureLabs 3D Machine thingie might work.  I don't have it, but have been on the verge of pulling the trigger on that plugin for the last few weeks, so I might try it.  Hmmmm... I just looked at the video again, and I am not so sure it will do any better than Eye Candy 7.  

BTW  If you are into that sort of illustrative work with Photoshop, rather than using it to tart up your holiday snaps. then TextureLabs is a must do YouTube channe  For a more digital art approach, Photo Manipulation is a better fit.  Or just follow both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate your layer or protect it within a Smart Object.

Filter > Blur > Radial Blur

• Change the Amount
  • Change Blur Method from Spin to Zoom
  • Click and drag within the small window to change the Blur Center

Change the blending mode to suit. Screen might work well. If using a Smart Object, double click the small icon to the right of Radial Blur within the Layers panel to change the Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for a text I w

ould begin with effects and then duplicate an use a radial blur… has to work on it butb thats a way to explore

Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 13.03.51.png

Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 13.05.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone else that is following this thread, I did also come across these videos... Havent tried them yet personally but seems to give a similar effect:

Light Burst Text Effect in Photoshop - Light Burst Text Effect in Photoshop - YouTube

Illustrator Rays Burst Text Effect in Adobe Illustrator - Illustrator Rays Burst Text Effect in Adobe Illustrator - YouTube

Create Cinematic Light Rays in Adobe Photoshop! - Create Cinematic Light Rays in Adobe Photoshop! - YouTube

Light Ray Effect Photoshop Tutorial 2020 | Space Text Photoshop Effect, Photoshop Free - Light Ray Effect Photoshop Tutorial 2020 | Space Text Photoshop Effect, Photoshop Free (youtube.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines