• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch processing

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to follow the image production list when a process is started in the batch, and it has many images?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please elaborate. 

But I doubt that Batch itself will allow for a lot of customization, so maybe you need to create a custom Script or plugin. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you start a batch photo process, the program starts running the actions according to what was configured, but until the process ends, we have no way of knowing how many images are left to finish or even how many have been finished. The ideal would be to have this information on the processing screen to have an estimated time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to the Finder or Explorer and open the output/destination folder and view the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case I apply some effects to the psd itself and save it, in your example I would need to duplicate the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't clear what you were doing via batch. 

So view the input folder where you are overwriting the files and note the modified date/time of the files. You could set this to sort by modified before starting the batch.

Batch has basic error logging.

A helper utility script could be written to write log files, which could be recorded as the first step in the batch action.

As @c.pfaffenbichler wrote, this would usually be part of a larger custom batch processing script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to the Finder or Explorer and open the output/destination folder and view the results.

By @Stephen_A_Marsh

Yes, this is a good idea and something I often do.

@Mystic_moments98C6 On the Mac desktop or in Adobe Bridge, set up two windows. One set to the source folder for the batch, and the other set to the batch output folder.

As the batch runs, the source folder window shows the original number of files, and the destination folder shows the number of files completed so far. When the file counts in the two windows match, it’s done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a retoucher of fashion images that are printed, my files are usually large, we are talking about images between 6000x5000 pixels, around 30 to 40cm. I use the batch to apply several treatment processes to the image that make it heavy, if I duplicated the files I would have around 120gb duplicated each round, it is something disadvantageous and it takes a long time due to the size. I would only need to open the PSD, save the adjustments that I apply to the images (color, cleaning, contrast adjustments, general cleaning) and while photoshop applies and closes I would like to see the missing amount without overflowing my HD space. Sometimes I have more than 1200 images that total 600 gigs, if I duplicate it it will be too big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So view the input folder where you are overwriting the files and note the modified date/time of the files. You could set this to sort by modified before starting the batch.

As I previously wrote above, no need to dupe the files, just view their modified date/time stamp as the batch runs overwriting the source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I previously wrote above, no need to dupe the files, just view their modified date/time stamp as the batch runs overwriting the source files.

By @Stephen_A_Marsh

The Action would need to include »Save«, though, to change the modification date. 

@Mystic_moments98C6 , generating an on-screen progress indicator takes resources in itself, so as far as performance is concerned I think it can only affect that negatively. 

If it is truly important to you you may have to use a UXP Panel or an ESTK Script instead of Batch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Action would need to include »Save«, though, to change the modification date. 

By @c.pfaffenbichler

Batch does offer a "save and close" output option, which is useful if overwriting the same file format with the same known options as previously saved by Photoshop into the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I had missed that the OP specifically mentioned saving and closing the edited images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following script can be recorded as the first or last step before saving in the action. It will create a separate text file in the same path as the processed image, named after the processed image. This way you can see which files have been processed while a large batch is in progress. Set the sort order of the folder by file type or date modified for easy viewing of the results.

/*
Log Filename for Batch.jsx
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/batch-processing/td-p/14020439
v1.0 - 21st August 2023, Stephen Marsh
*/

#target photoshop

try {
    var os = $.os.toLowerCase().indexOf("mac") >= 0 ? "mac" : "windows";
    if (os === "mac") {
        logFileLF = "Unix"; // Legacy = "Macintosh"
    } else {
        logFileLF = "Windows";
    }
    var thePath = activeDocument.path.fsName;
    var theName = activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    var dateTime = new Date().toLocaleString();
    var logFile = new File(thePath + "/" + theName + '.txt');
    if (logFile.exists)
        logFile.remove();
    logFile.open("w");
    logFile.encoding = "UTF-8";
    logFile.lineFeed = logFileLF;
    logFile.write(dateTime + "\r" + activeDocument.name + "\r");
    logFile.close();
} catch (e) {
    //alert(e + ': Line ' + e.line);
}

Info here on saving and running scripts:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A modified version of the log script to create a single log file can be found here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-does-automate-batch-handle-source...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines