Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending modes in layer groups leave bounding lines

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I use layer groups for editing, easier to apply a layer mask to all the below layers. When I add an overlay with a black background to the layer group. With Screen blending mode enabled, it leaves a faint dark bounding box around the overly. It is not the overlay itself. When the overlay is moved out of the layer goup, the bounding box dissappears.

Only when the blending mode of the entire layer group is changed to screen will the bounding box outline go away.  It is a pain that I need to have two seperate layer groups for my edits.

The bounding box from the layer group will remain on the image when flattened if the entire group remains on pass through.

Is this a known fault of PS 2024?  Will they ever update this with never versions. That would be awesome!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Layers panel similar to the screenshot below?

screen blending mode.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to keep the black background overlays together while using just one layer mask for the group. No issues with png overlays. It's just the black background ones.

When I move the black background ones out of the layer group, the faint bounding box goes away. When I place them back into the group, it appears again. 

If I flatten an image the faint lines remain on it.

I us the latest version of photoshop and a newer mac 27 inch. All updated.

When I change the entire layer group to screen it goes away.  But I have always been able to use layers and overlays in a group without needing to use screen blend mode for the whole. If you get my meaning.

Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see lines when you zoom in to 100%? This issue may be specific to Mac or it may be resolved by resetting your preferences, which can sometimes fix strange problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Zoomed in the lines are visible. If I flatten the image, the faint lines remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines