• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry Text (tried all of the 'fixes' but hasn't work)

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I've been having an issue with Photoshop for awhile now where the text always appears a little blurry no matter what I do – both in the system itself and when I export it. I have tried a lot of the fixes that I've found online but none of them seem to work: going higher resolution (300dpi for example), restarting preferences, changing the anti-aliasing (this doesn't really do anything because the texts appear blurry, not pixelated)

Here is something I was working on. These examples are cropped from a 750x750 png image. I'm including another image of the text at different sizes to show its still blurry that way as well.

example 1.png

example2.png

Obviously it looks a little better when a bit bigger, but still not great – and why it would look that blurry when that small doesn't make any sense to me. This is how it looks exported and in the system itself. It doesn't look great at 100% and it looks obviously worse at 150%/200% (which I don't think should effect it nearly as much as it does) I never really had any problems like this in the past, but its been this way for awhile now. (I currently have v.22.5.6) Does anyone have any settings or options for me? I'm honestly just really confused at this point because all of the "answers" I've read so far hasn't really done anything for me.

Thank you, and sorry if this is stupid/easily answered. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as a PNG rasterises the text, that's why you see the somewhat pixelated. If you save it as a PDF it will be perfect (but the format may not be suitable for other purposes). How are you using the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text appears that way within Photoshop as well. I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by how I am using it? Just with the text tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is don't use Photoshop for text if you can avoid it. Use a vector application like Illustrator or InDesign.

Outside of special cases like saving to PDF or SVG, as Derek points to, Photshop will always rasterize text output. It will be an image, not text.

That becomes particularly obvious if you have a retina/4K screen. All consumer-oriented image viewers and web browsers will scale images up when they detect a high-density screen. Then it really becomes blurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What is teh anti-aliasing method of the Type Layer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 10.27.39 PM.pngHere is the view at 100%. I usually zoom in closer to get a better sense of what I'm working with, especailly since the image itself appears a lot smaller on 100% than it actually is. Hopefully this helps/what you were asking for. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you downsize the screen shot before uploading?  When I click to expand I am getting a black screen, which might mean you put up a low res image.  If that's the case, would you mind using the widget and pasting the screen shot full size please?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Trevor.Dennis There is an issue with the forum software which results in black screens for exapnded images when poster by customers. For some reasons ACP posted images appear to be unaffected. It has been reported.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nathan, read my post above again. You have a retina screen, and all consumer-oriented web browsers / image viewers scale images up to 2x linear pixel dimensions. In other words, one image pixel is represented by 4 screen pixels. They do this so that images display at the same screen size as they would on a standard, traditional screen.

Photoshop doesn't do that. It displays the image accurately, mapping one image pixel to exactly one screen pixel.

Photoshop is a raster editor and will (with a few special exceptions like PDF and SVG) represent text as pixels, at the base document resolution. It's not text, it's an image! This is in contrast to live, vector text, which can be scaled indefinitely and always be represented at full screen resolution.

Bottom line: there is nothing wrong here. This is just how things work, and why Photoshop is not a good tool for text.

Trevor, the black screen is a forum bug. It's on the fix list as I understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines