• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Branched] How do you draw a rounded editable rectangle in Photoshop?

Advisor ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see all of the answers are correct but I'm still stuck as I'm learning... where in the properties panel do I gain control of the roundness of corners?
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 11.41.13 AM.png

[ branched from Where can I get basic vector shapes for paths in photoshop?  to Photoshop forum by moderator ]

[ title added by moderator ]

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

@Ken Nielsen 

• Use the Rectangle tool

janee_0-1673813343210.png

• Draw a rectangle
    janee_1-1673813500313.png

• Either use the one of the widgets in the corner to resize the corners (circle with dot)
    janee_2-1673813592496.png

or

• Use the Properties panel to type in a number
    janee_3-1673813731854.png

Note: If the Link button is on (chain link), all controls will be the same. If off, they can be different.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ken Nielsen 

You drew a Frame and frames don't have rounded corners. Delete it.

Look at the screenshot from Pixxel where he has marked the correct tool for drawing rectangles and use that tool instead. The Properties panel will say "Rectangle" instead of "Frame" at the top.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Fabulous to be learning about this and excellent help. Pixxel's images are in a foreign language so I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at and I don't see any tool selected... that is where I fell off of the boat learning about this. I will go back and study the images from Pixxel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The images from Pixxel are not in English so I need a translation. What is 'Form' is that 'Path' in English... I will get this but just can't read the language... is it German? I could go to a translator to find out the meanins of the important words here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused and need help. The path I made has a square but the rounded-corner shape on the same path seems to not have attachment to the original path, which is all one path. I see that I need to set the rounded corner dimension and THEN draw that path so the Rounded Corners are not something that can be changed dynamically. This whole area I can see is quite valuable, but learning it... I am not quite catching on. Where do I go from here to gain control over making paths like this?
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 11.55.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ken Nielsen 

• Use the Rectangle tool

janee_0-1673813343210.png

• Draw a rectangle
    janee_1-1673813500313.png

• Either use the one of the widgets in the corner to resize the corners (circle with dot)
    janee_2-1673813592496.png

or

• Use the Properties panel to type in a number
    janee_3-1673813731854.png

Note: If the Link button is on (chain link), all controls will be the same. If off, they can be different.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, This has been a 'passed over' capability of Photoshop through my years of working with paths, they have all been drawn by hand using the pen tool. Finally, I am learning about this and it is a exciting discovery for me. Thank You for your invaluable help with this Jane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what my screen looks like... the Properties Panel says 'frame' but I guess I really don't care that it doesn't say 'Rectangle' because things are working properly as you say now. Just a bit more practice and then I will comb through this thread again and again as you say Pixxel has given important insight also. Whew, what a day but beneficial thanks to your help.
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 12.30.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... the Properties Panel says 'frame' but I guess I really don't care that it doesn't say 'Rectangle' because things are working properly as you say now.

By @Ken Nielsen

Just checking…did you intend to create a frame or a rectangle? They are similar but different, and also they are separate tools (Frame tool and Rectangle tool).

The difference with a frame is that it’s a placeholder, like in Adobe InDesign. Use a frame when you want to lay out a page with shapes that you will fill with content later, like with a photo you haven’t decide on yet. If you just need a rectangular path or shape layer, then use the Rectangle tool, not the Frame tool. 

One consequence is that the rounded corner options appear only for a shape, not a frame. I don’t know why. But that’s probably why you aren’t seeing the rounded corner options. You can tell it’s a frame because of the big X through it.

Photoshop-rounded-corners-frame.gif

If all of this seems new, frames and the Properties panel are both relatively recent additions, and the way rounded corners work was overhauled not too long ago.

Today, when you draw something in Photoshop, you want to be aware of whether you are creating a path, a shape, or a frame, because they work differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for chiming in on this Conrad. I have a fairly hefty book from the past 'Photoshop Layers' and it touches on 'Working with shape layers.' It sounds like I would be best off to just focus on what you have just said "a path, a shape or a frame" as my area of study until I really grasp what you are saying here. Do you have a online tutorial you want to share a link to here, Adobe or YouTube, whatever you would recommend, so I can continue my study and get this area, new to me, under my belt so to speak. I appreciate Conrad C, Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See how in my example there is an x through the 'Frame' but contrary to what you have said about Paths being the only choice where I can have rounded corners, you can see the little 'dots' in the center of the radius of each of the four corners and moving that dot will change the radius of the corner... the Properties panel says it is a 'Frame' or at least the Frame box is checked in the upper portion of the panel. Please excuse me as I flounder with this concept now. I want to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, now I’m confused. I’m not sure why I am not getting the corner widgets or Properties controls for rounded corners on frames. Hmm…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines