• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brand new Macbook Pro overventhilathing and fan noise JUST when I use Adobe Photoshop.

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Brand new Macbook Pro 16inch 2019 is overventhilathing and the fan makes noise JUST when I use Adobe Photoshop.

It happens if I use Photoshop 2019 or 2020.

No other applications are running and I have this problem just while I use Photoshop. How can I fix this?

It seem incredible that my new computer needs to be ruined from this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Hi

Would you rather that Photoshop did not use the power of your PC? Some functions in Photoshop are very CPU or GPU intensive. On a laptop, the cooling systems have to work much harder in order to dissipate the heat when those processors are used. Some laptops just throttle the processor speed and slow down.  Desktop systems can move a lot more air through the case or, as I have here, are watercooled with a radiator and fan taking the heat from the CPU.

I would not worry about the fan working,

Votes

Translate

Translate

To add what Dave said, mine laptop does the same, and that's why I bought one with big cooling fans. I've had several graphics cards fail, most likely due to overheating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

That's right. One thing laptop users rarely think about is heat. There are only two ways to prevent meltdown in a laptop. One is throttling down processing speed (the most common solution); the other is cranking up those tiny fans to 11. Or both.

This is why a desktop system will always run rings around a laptop with similar nominal specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, the fans spin up when the GPU is working harder, and given the fact that Photoshop is relying more and more on it, it has to be expected...

It seems that the new Apple M1 Max and Pro have a better thermal-power management, but it comes at a price...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/laptop-review-m1-max-macbook-pro-2021-back-with-a-vengeance?utm_sou...

(and the Photoshop test are run under Rosetta emulation, as the benchmark they use runs in a CEP panel...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines