• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brightness/contrast tool not working

New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some work on a photo, flattened it and now trying to adjust brightness and contrast with no effects whatsoever. Levels and curves also not working. What should I do? I use PS CC, all automatically updated. Resetting all tools also didn't bring anything.

Thanks for your help...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting Tools and trying to use them on other files, you get the same "not working" response, try resetting Preferences and restarting Photoshop. To reset Prefs, choose Preferences > General. The Reset Preferences option is there.

If the tools work normally when applied in other files, please post a screen shot showing the image, Options bar, and relevant panels (Layer, Properties, Channels)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Norman, I will gladly follow that, see what happens. I think the problem may have been related to one image i had already worked on quite a lot. Had a go at same tools with a different photo today, it was working OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some tools may not work depending on your image settings.  What is your file's bit depth and Color Mode?

Try making sure your file is 8 or 16 bit and RGB to see whether that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Joseph. The files are 16 bit and RGB. Would it be possible that some photos, which have been adjusted considerably for levels, contrast, brightness etc cannot be manipulated any further? I also applied some filters to the photo in question, still found it a little strange not to be able to make the adjustments any further. The tools seem to work fine with other pictures today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Brightness/Contrast as an adjustment layer with the Properties panel or directly from the Image > Adjustments menu?

I'm not sure why or how Resetting tools would help since Brightness / Contrast is not a tool. Resetting Preferences might.

If you are doing it as an Adjustment Layer (preferred), what is on the layer underneath? Can you show a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it sounds like maybe a selection is happening trying deselecting before doing adjustment.  go to menu/ select/deselect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had this problem with several files from unknown sources. I just discovered that converting the profile (Under Edit) to "Apple CMM" solves the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines