Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone.

I had this issue before, but it was a little different and was happening in Firefox and PS. Somehow I fixed it, but I'm not sure how. Now it's just happening in PS.

I start PS and everything is fine. Then I open a file and drag it to the top to enlarge it, but I still have all the tools and jazz showing. I'm not sure what to call that action. Anyway, then my sceen starts flashing. It's like the brightness is dimming in and out at a rapid rate. And it effects the image and the whole interface. Before when I had this problem it was doing it slowly. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix the issue. I'm running the most current version of PS CC 2018. The graphic card it uses, Nvidia GTX 1050i is up to date. I don't have any plugins.

I searched Google for an answer but the only flickering I could find was this: Fix Flashing Black Screen in Photoshop CS6 or CC - YouTube and that's not my problem. I really hope someone can help me. This issue is very annoying and I can't work like this.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all adobe's ideas. The only one idea can help is completely disable the graphics processor. But it makes my Photoshop works slowly without graphics processor.

As long as i choose nvidia graphics for Photoshop the screen will flicker in it and neither i choose intel or nvidia graphics the screen still flicker in Adobe Camera Raw.

I've tried to install both intel and nvidia's latest drivers. And uninstall them, install lenove's  latest drives. Neither drivers can't slove this issue.

I really hope intel can work with this problem. Adobe said this is not their fault, intel said this is not their fault and nvidia said this is not their fault, at last it can't really solve the issue. It makes customers feel helpless and disappointed.

Why i think intel can solve this issue. Because i try an intel graphics old driver (21.xxxx, the newest is 24.xxx) . It really solved the flickering issue in Photoshop, but it still flickers in Adobe Camera Raw. So it shows intel's driver has ability to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right! I think is Adobe fault - dominating the market, they do not have any reason to do better. Apple users are matter, others just secondary source for them. Behind the business, philosophy is very bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's just be perfectly clear on one thing:

This has nothing to do with Photoshop or Adobe. This is a laptop setting, using modified video drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt ranting is going to solve the problem, though I understand the frustration. Let's focus on getting this issue known  instead of pushing blame around, eh?

I've had a few days where the flickering actually stopped, though I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason for that behaviour - I turned the graphics processor usage off and on, restarted the laptop etc.. It's back now, despite trying to use both the newest Intel/Nvidia drivers and the ones specifically for my system. It's beyond frustrating, especially since the Zenbook 13 was marketed for photo editing/creative programs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so is there any update about this?

same config (geforce 1050TI) latest drivers, and same issue.

going to nvidia control panel and setting photoshop to use the integrated intel hd 630 solved it for me but i feel it's supposed to work anyway....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing. This isn't Photoshop, and I suspect not NVidia either. This is a laptop setting, from the laptop manufacturer, that you need to change or disable.

Laptop manufacturers don't use stock drivers from NVidia or Intel, but modified varieties with added "helpful" functions.

See if there is a support forum for that laptop model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed a new computer to solve this annoying issue.

But i sent a post on intel's forum before i changed the new computer, and intel said they will work with it.

Hope intel can solve it for you guys !

Brightness Flickering in Photoshop with dual Gr... |Intel Communities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, Intel said they may solved the issue. Check it in my post Brightness Flickering in Photoshop with dual Gr... |Intel Communities .

But i've change a new no flickering computer and sold out my old computer, so i can't test the latest driver.

I really hope can help with you guys and figure out the mistake in this issue. Can download the latest driver here, help intel and yourself to solve the issue! Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but I found a solution, so Im just leaving this here in case someone else looking for a solution. This bug happened mostly on a latptop with discreted gpu(Gaming laptop for example). On laptop gpu works a little bit drifferent from desktop. The discreted gpu which suppose to be the high performance one is not directly connected to the monitor and the monitor is using the intergrated gpu for display. You don't need to disable "use graphic processor" option because it's very important features. What you wanted to do is go to your discreted gpu control panel(like Nvidia Control Panel). In my case I have Nvidia gpu so I have to go to the Nvidia control Panel, then to to 3d setting and set 3d setting for specific application which is Phitoshop.exe. Now force it to use your Intergrated gpu which most likely to be Intel HD Graphic or Intel UHD graphic or Vega, etc. Then restart photoshop or open it if you haven't, go to Edit>Preferences>Performance then make sure the Use Graphic Processor option is checked. It should display the Intergrated gpu name on there.

There you go, just use intergrated gpu instead of discreted gpu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for a great suggestion! I'd like to add a little remark, because your fix didn't work for me in its exact form. On my Xiaomi Notebook Pro with Intel UHD / Nvidia MX250 I had to do a reverse thing to avoid flickering: in the "Manage 3D settings" options I've chosen to use the integrated graphics card, not the Nvidia card. Then the flickering was gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Config:
Dell XPS 15 9750
Intel Core i9 8950HK

32GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 630

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dual GPU set-ups are known to cause issues with Photoshop, take a look here

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

After a long while I was finally been able to figure this out. What I did was update NVidia graphics driver to the latest version from the NVidia website (417.35) and then I manually updated intel integrated graphics by going to Device Manager ->  Right Click on Intel UHD graphics 630 -> Select Update driver -> Browse My computer... -> Let me pick... -> Untick Show compatible hardware -> Select the earliest version of the driver (23.20.16.4973 [2/28/2018]) -> Install it and the flickering is gone. Hopefully that helps for some of you guys.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please send a link to that driver? I can not find it in the list for Intel 630 in old versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why people keep saying it's a laptop issue. This started on both my desktops in the last couple years.

One is a 780gtx machine and the other a 1080ti. I found a fix last year but I forgot about and am searching for it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just exported some pics and they're hella dark. This really sucks. Btw this happens in both Lightroom and Photoshop. Disabled using gpu for both didn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update to my 1080ti rig. I went into device manager and updated the drivers there rather than using the nvidia. Flickering seems to be gone.

Evga Gtx1080ti ftw3

i7 8700k

16gb corsair vengeance pro rgb ddr4 3200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to latest version of Photoshop CC (Ver. 20.0.2) screen still flickering when zooming in/out from the picture or moving it around. Screen interface is also red at first open, if I resize PS interface, and then maximize it again the red color is gone. (The "red interface" is also an issue with PS CC 2018).

I have a AMD professional graphics card running on the pro driver. (Radeon Vega Frontier Edition), Ryzen 8 core cpu, 64 GB of fast RAM and generally new, high performance computer system. (8K main screen running 32 bit color).

Works fine with the previous version of Photoshop CC (2018)

Only solution so far has been to not use Photoshopp CC (2019) at all, the flickering renders it totally useless.

And yes, I have tried everything to make it work. (Every possible tweak and setting).

Photoshop: Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8K ??

I would blame AMD first.

Adobe probably has not tested PS in a 8K environment and it will be a long time before it happens.

PS 2019 has additional GPU features that have been added that PS 2018 did not have.

So that is why PS 2018 appears to work. Hopefully something can be done, but I would not hold my breath to long.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any news? I feel so hopeless with this problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who still has this issue.

I recently reinstalled windows 10 and I figured out that the Gefore experience application from Nvidia caused the problem.

Try to uninstall it. I hope this helps for some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's what we're constantly trying to tell people. Photoshop can't do this, it has to be the video driver, a laptop "enhancement", or some other third-party utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is somehow related with photoshop, i have fresh w10 with uhd 630 card and  nvidia 1050ti and same story only photoshop is flickering... other aps working like charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new XPS 15 with dual display cards, and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem, only with Photoshop and Lightroom. Never seen this issue with any other programs. Adobe needs to do something on this, or coordinate with Intel/Nvidia to sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have XPS 15 and have the same issue. I spent about an hour with Adobe support and about 2-3 hours with Dell customer service and they couldn't find any solution. Now i'm stuck in a loop back and forth between Adobe and Dell. It is really frustrating to see this problem constantly for hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines