Brush lagging

Participant ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I have a slight problem that is bugging me.

Recently my brush started lagging when I use it in Photoshop. When I paint over a photo, edits are applied after the stroke.
Brush in ACR works just fine, but PS is having problems. I have never experienced this before. 
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marko

To make sense of your issue we would need to know:

The size of the brush preset in pixels?  Very large brushes will be slower than small brushes?

The size of the document as it relates to the brush size?

What preset are you using, or is this happening with all presets?
Is this the normal brush, or is it the Mixer Brush?  The Mixer brush will be much slower than the normal brush.

What is the spec of your computer?
Do you have plenty of space on your primary Scratch drive?

What operating system are you using?  If Windows, then you can open the Task Manager > Performance tab and get a visual indication of any bottle necks like is the CPU maxing out?  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- brush size-any

-document size- 

Screenshot 2022-06-28 131216.jpg

-all brush presets

-normal brush

-specs  

Screenshot 2022-06-28 131453.jpg

-available RAM

Screenshot 2022-06-28 131023.jpg

-operating system

RAM seems insufficient, but it was like that from when I installed it and worked fine earlier. 

Windows 10 pro

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting that your ram usage is so level.  Could it be maxing out the full alocation to Photoshop?

Have you tried restarting Photoshop or going Edit > Purge > All?

Check the root directory of your primary scratch drive.

What size are the Photoshop Temp files, and are there any orphaned temp files (they don't have todays date, or are still there when Photoshop is closed).  If you have orphaned Photoshop temp files delete them.  What I am getting at here is that if alocated ram is maxed out, then it will be using scratch space, but it seems unlike that would be happening with a small brush preset in a small document.

Try starting Photoshop while holding down the Shift key to prevent third party plugins from loading.  If that fixes it then you';; have to eleminate one by one.

Try turning off the rulers, if on.

Is this mouse or tablet btw?  Or both?  If tablet, which one and which API are you using?  (Windows Ink or WinTab)

I just tried my system with a 5000 pixel brush in a 20000 pixel square document, and it barely lagged.  There is some disk activity and I have a 14Gb temp file on the scratch drive.  It is using hardly any ram (I have 64Gb)

image.png

It's my bed time so someone else might help you for a while.

Good luck

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

In reading through your info, I am not seeing what version of Photoshop (and ACR) you are using? And did you upgrade before this started happening?

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest version, but somehow my smoothing was on at that was causing the lag, simple solution. Hope this post helps someone else in the future. Thanks to both of you for trying to figure it out. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! We are glad yu found the solution--thank you for sharing with the community!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines