• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush line 'shaking' after several seconds, cleared by switching windows, then returns?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, Photoshop CC, Wacom Cintiq 13HD

I've recently set up a new computer, moving to Windows after having been on a Mac for several years. Everything works beautifully, apart from the brush function on Photoshop CC. After a few seconds of drawing, the brush starts to shake and wobble (image below), but clears right up again if I switch to another program window and back again. I've reinstalled Wacom drivers, reinstalled CC, and I don't really want to fork out for the smoothing tool that everyone seems to recommend for this (and apparently isn't guaranteed to work). It's not a tool smoothing setting as it's not a consistent issue. I've trawled the Adobe forums but none of the fixes seem to work; am I missing something basic? Help would be appreciated as it's really slowing down my work, thanks!

pen.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

•ATI Driver https://www.amd.com/en/support

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep; all drivers are up to date and correct. I've checked on the sites for all of the likely suspects in case of recommended rollbacks and haven't found any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check your brush settings and make sure no setting is causing jitter over time or something like that?

brush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely nothing going on here that wasn't a setting on my previous computer, which didn't have this issue.

pen2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

click on the words Shape Dynamics and look in there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, same as previously-working settings

pen3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you gone into your brush settings and looked at what they are doing? Is there some kind of pen pressure thing set up on your Shape Dynamics or Scattering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since looking at that window, and seeing that it should produce a clean stroke, I'm really leaning on there being something up with your Wacom Tablet. I know it sounds annoying, but have you tried uninstalling all things Wacom from the computer completely, rebooting the computer, then downloading and installing everything fresh from Wacom? BTW, which Wacom tablet are you using? My wife is using one of the small bamboos and she had something similar happen to her.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Wacom Cintiq 13HD; I don't use the screen function and just have it connected to a monitor as input-only. I did try the full wipe once and it hasn't cleared the issue, but I'm tempted to do it again at this point as I'm rather at the end of my tether with this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm... this isn't the first time I've seen issues with the CIntiq as well. Lots of people seem to be having a variety of issues with it. Are you using it wired or through bluetooth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wired, so again there should be no issues there. What's strange to me is that the problem clears up when I alt-tab to another window, but then comes back again after a few seconds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this thread and see if any of these settings help:

Wacom intuos jitters only in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you! I'm calling it quits for the night but I'll check these tomorrow and let you know how they go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue with my intuos 5. It will draw fine for a few moments (could be 2 minutes could be 30 seconds) then it will suddenly have a jitter with every line I draw. I alt-tab out of photoshop and then alt-tab back in and the problem is fixed once again for a few seconds/minutes. I got it to work in the past rolling back to some really old drivers (pre windows ink setting drivers) but I recently upgraded to windows 10 and the new drivers still do it. I also don't remember what driver seemed to work best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely the same problem with my Wacom Intuos Pro. I think almos all users have same issue but not notice that..

But some options here:

1 - When you use PSUserConfig.txt with UseSystemStylus 0 - you will recive shaking line after few seconds like in this post (This is Fix from many videos and posts)

2 - If you don't use PSUserConfig.txt and Windows Ink is enabled you will have another issue, like no pressure after changing brush and lag before you can change size using Alt + Right Mouse (But with pen button for it)

So people try to fix issue 2 and after that have issue 1..

Examples for issue 2

Brush select or change size

issue_22.gif

Lag

issue_21.gif

In my examples I use

- latest graphic drivers

- latesd Tabled drivers

- Advanced Graphics Processor Settings in Photoshop - Drawing Mode - Advanced

Update: In my case - solution is add to registry this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines