• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can elliptical paths just act like paths again?

Mentor ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make Photoshop stop treating vector ellipse paths as smart shapes, and go back to the behavior where it treated them as simple bezier curves? When I create an ellipse and the dropdown menu is set to Path, I don't want there to be any bounding box or rotation controls around the resulting ellipse. It just gets in the way. If I wanted to transform the ellipse, I would select it and choose Edit > Free Transform Path. It's like Clippy for Photoshop. "Oh, I see you're trying to draw an ellipse! Let me be ever so helpful and put a bunch of crap on the page!" Please stop dumbing down Photoshop.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try switching to the Pen Tool after creating the elliptical Path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As c.p. has said, selecting the Pen T changes the behaviour, and if you delete a point, you even get a warning (if you have not previously disabled it since the last time you reset Preferences.

Note: this screen shot was faked for the sake of illustration.

image.png

What is interesting is that selecting the Path Selection Tool will bring back the transform controls and bounding box...

image.png

...whereas the Direct Selection Tool does not.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines