• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I set the dimensions of a pixel when I pixelate/mosaic an image?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Really hoping someone can help...

I want to put an illustrated vector image into Photoshop and pixelate it so each individual pixel is 10mm x 10mm. I then want to put printable gridlines over the top of which I have found a youtube tutorial to then print out in sections and then lay actual mosaic tiles over the top creating a pixel mosaic. please see the image attached for an example of what it looks like to give you a better understanding of what I'm trying to achieve.

When i go to pixelate image it just says change size of cell? Im confused 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to put an illustrated vector image into Photoshop and pixelate it so each individual pixel is 10mm x 10mm.

By @daniel25752277lbhw

Someone else will probably chime in, but in Illustrator you go to Object > Create Object Mosaic. You may have to do some math to convert "number of tiles" to 10mm x 10mm.

janee_1-1681564770723.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you, this helps!

So the actual space I will need it to adhere to is 1780mm x 1320mm so will that be 1780 tiles x 1320 tiles? But that doesnt solve setting the tile size to 10mm x 10mm? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@daniel25752277lbhw 

Hi Daniel,

I don't know how big mm is, as my country tried to use them for a couple of years, then gave up. You'll have to do the math to figure out number of tiles. Or use trial and error. Choose something and look at the size of the tile, then choose something else.

I was about to come back to add some things:

• If it's vector, your will need to rasterize it befor you use Create Object Mosaic
  • By default, it will keep the original, so hide and lock it
  • It creates a group of the tiles
  • Your title is "Can I set the dimensions of a pixel when I pixelate/mosaic an image?"
    Raster images are made of pixels, which you can see when you zoom in. I think you mean "tiles", not "pixels" here. You can set the dimension of pixels when you print by saying you want 10 pixels per inch (10 ppi), 72 pixels per inch (72 ppi), 300 pixels per inch (300 ppi), etc., but that only applies to raster when printed.
  • In my example, one tile is 30.2 pt x 26.4 pt.
    janee_0-1681566337231.png

And now I have an idea, but let me test it first.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow your very smart 🙂

Okay I will use this info moving forward. This isnt my field so im super ignorant to the processes and language. Thank you for your time, i genuinely appreciate it so much ! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@daniel25752277lbhw 

Try this to get your numbers:

• Draw a rectangle 1780mm x 1320mm > Cmd+5 to convert to guide > lock guide
  • Click to create retangle 10 mm x 10mm and position it in the upper left of the guide.
    Turn off corner widgets (View menu); turn them back on later. They are annoying with tiny objects.
    janee_0-1681567489742.png janee_1-1681567596649.png
  • Copy the tile to the upper right and postion in the corner of the guide.
  • Select both rectangles and Blend. I used Specified Distance of Tile Size (10) + Spacing (2), but play with the spacing.
    janee_2-1681568102321.png

• Then I simply changed to Specified Steps and got my number.
    janee_3-1681568249313.png

• Show corner widgets again when finished.
  • Repeat for Vertical and use these number when you create the Mosaic from your image.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay brilliant, im going to try this now. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay brilliant, im going to try this now. Thanks again

By @daniel25752277lbhw

I'm just out of a lengthy meeting. If the instructions aren't detailed enough, please ask again. (Yes, they are in Illustrator.)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these instructions for in Illustrator or photoshop? Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What @jane-e is showing is in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your the best Myra 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I could help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, you can use the Mosaic filter (Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic...). However, the cell size refers to pixels and not millimeters. The cell size field only takes integers between 2 and 200. So if you did a conversion from millimeters to pixels (1 mm = 3.7795275591 pixels), then you'd have to round it (10 x 3.7795275591 = 37.795275591 which would be 38 pixels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks for the insight, its appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines