• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can only 'Save As...' PSD, PSB , PDF or TIFF

Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can I no longer Save As JPEG, PNG etc, from the Save As shortcut?  I now have to Save A Copy to get the full list of file options?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I see this was a "feature" added about a year ago.  No idea how it's only just become apparent, I keep CC updated.

I am honestly getting really pissed off with the changes Adobe keep making to their software that actually slows down workflow.  How was this 'feature' even thought up, let alone approved for release?

It seems obvious that Adobe don't actually use their software.  Every release brings out new 'Features' that are practically useless in day-to-day work, and they add ridiculous workflow changes.  "Hey, you know you used to just hit this button to achieve this?  Okay, now you have to go through two different menus and hit 3 buttons instead, whilst holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT. Okay?" 

And you see certain people on these forums saying "What are you complaining about, just write a Script that'll do that job for you really easily!".  IT WORKED REALLY EASILY BEFORE, WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT!?

Meanwhile I've still got bugs in Photoshop that have been there for years without any attention.  Artboards anyone?  What a hot mess they are.  Buggy AF. 

Adobe, fix your buggy apps, THEN consider adding Features that are actually beneficial to your existing subscribers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was done to work around a sudden policy change in MacOS. This wasn't an idea that originated at Adobe. At the time, it was the best solution they found.

Later, they were able to come up with a better workaround, so now there is a checkbox in Preferences to use "Legacy Save As":

save_as.png

At the default setting, any file format that does not support all the file's current properties is moved to Save A Copy.

It might be good to know that this ability to save directly to any format was in fact introduced in Photoshop CS5. Prior to that, there was no way. The file had to comply with the format spec, or you couldn't save at all. There wasn't much complaining then... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OHCreative wrote:

How was this 'feature' even thought up, let alone approved for release?

This was driven by a change in Apple's API that forced Adobe to come up with an alternative.

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

You can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.

As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

EDIT: @D Fosse posted as I was still typing 😊.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OHCreative wrote:

Adobe, fix your buggy apps, THEN consider adding Features that are actually beneficial to your existing subscribers!

As for those bugs, report them one at a time following these guidelines.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to the other explanations, it should be noted that a lot of other applications on Mac and Windows have long used the same behavior that Photoshop changed to:

To preserve full editing of all features, including layers, use Save As, which lists only the formats that can do that (such as PSD, PSB, TIFF, and Photoshop PDF).

To choose other formats that cannot preserve full editing, such as JPEG, PNG, etc., use another command such as Save a Copy or one of the Export commands.

Again, many other applications already work this way, including Affinity Photo. Getting more formats in Save As might have been more convenient, but the new way is actually more of an industry standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines