• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change the weight of variable fonts after update to 25.0

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to change the font weight, only a few letters have their weight replaced. First, this happened on Photoshop Beta version, but I updated both of the versions at the same time, and after trying it in the current Photoshop version (v25.0), the same problem happens.

signow88584364_0-1695040966655.png

Even the font preview shows it bugged. (Only the L in "Sample" changing weight)

signow88584364_1-1695041020585.png

The letters affected change when I try it on the canvas, but it's still the same problem. I didn't test a lot of fonts, but the fonts that have this problem are Raleway and Outfit, both from Google Fonts. From what I've seen from other people's posts, a lot of people using fonts from Google Fonts are having this problem. We really need a way to fix this.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e I'm not at the party (Beta channel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with very simple text layers in Photoshop, and I can't figure out why only certain letters turn bold when I set the font style to bold. Changing it to other font weights work fine, but the program refuses to change the text consistently when anything heavier than semibold is chosen. How can I fix this?

Font: Montserrat (downloaded from Google Fonts)

* Same issue experienced using other fonts like Rockwell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kristine Joyce 5505 I moved your post to the main thread regarding Variable fonts. See the posts above for current updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the variable fonts and reinstalling the static versions fixed the problem for me, thanks so much for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue for several months and it's significantly hindering my work. Some letters are appearing bolder than others in Photoshop (I've had this issue with InDesign as well). I'm on the lastest version 25.1.10. I've seen in other threads trying to go back a few versions but that did not help. I cannot do my work and need a fix. Please help!! See screenshot attached. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Laura250897853svv this is a known issue with Variable fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go back to Photoshop 2021 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the topic and thanks for all the responses! I had the exact same problem with Raleway from google fonts, but not Lato.  It turns out that I installed Lato with static fonts and Raleway with a variable font.  I deleted Raleway, downloaded it again, and the downloaded zip file contained static versions of the different Raleways weights. I installed those (ignoring the variable version) and now InDesign is rendering things correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any update on this? I installed the newest version to see if it was fixed and the issue is still there. Back to version 24.7 for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe support to report that Photoshop is not allowing the transformation of just one character of the 'League Spartan' font to 'Bold.' It only allows the use of 'Medium' for that particular character, while all the other characters work, and in Illustrator, the correction is made automatically.

After reaching out to support, their suggestion was that I 'change the font of the company's visual identity to a similar one from Adobe,' which I believe to be somewhat irrational, especially since the font works correctly in Illustrator, and we are dealing with an established visual identity in the market.

In conclusion, my suggestion is to fix this bug rather than change an entire design and system structure.

Sincerely,

Carla - Zouti's Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this on Windows 10 Pro, Bold works fine. Try the steps listed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

Screenshot 2023-10-25 112524.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it only happens in Photoshop. Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been posted about before, but it persists in the newest version of Photoshop. Variable-weight fonts display incorrectly. Specifically, letters appear at inconsistent weights when using a variable-weight font. Some are bold and some are thin. This causes type to look like a ransom note in my projects. As a result, I am unable to use variable-weight fonts in the newest version of Photoshop. I tried to install the static version instead, but when I do, the affected typeface is not available in the menu.

This issue started with version 25 and version 24.7.1. I first noticed the issue with League Spartan, but it affects numerous other variable-weight fonts. Generative AI is fun, but can we please get some help fixing basic functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kenny98BC, I can confirm that this is not fixed in the newest 25.2.0 Release. I've been checking using the Red Hat Display variable font. Unfortunately, this fix wasn't included in the update. Meanwhile, keep upvoting for a fix. Note that your post may be combined into a similar topic thread by a moderator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text engine has been fast in version 25.2.0.196, but this problem (variable font) has not been solved yet! I have a font that is VF (has no static versions), and I want to know if there is a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For an FYI, there is a primary thread on the beta forum that also discusses this issue for those of you on beta.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/can-t-change-the-weight-of-variable-fonts-af...

This thread is for the public release version of Photoshop (and should not be merged).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no fix for this? I just started getting this issue and looked it up to see it's been a bug since September. 

I am having this issue on mac version 25.3.1 with the font Railway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good news. This issue has finally been fixed in the Photoshop version 25.4 just released. Please update your Photoshop and try it out. Thank you for your patience and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines