• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't control lighting effects in PS CC

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running both PS CC and CS6 on my mac mini  (late 2012, 2.3 i7, 16 GB ram). When I try to use the lighting effects filter on CC, it opens, and all the sliders in the properties box work, but without the tools to point and modify the light source. On CS6, lighting effects opens with the expected oval shaped tools and the intensity adjuster. I am assuming that it is not the Mac-mini, as it handles both versions, CC and CS6, without issues except for this. Is this a bug in CC? I have searched and found nothing to this effect. I am assuming the video capabilities are adequate as the lighting effects option is not greyed out in either version. Also, I have made sure the image I am working on is in 8 bit mode.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

To use on-image lighting controls:

View>Show> All

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobmepp, Iā€™m having the exact same problem you describe on the PC version of CC. Did you get to the bottom of this?

For clarity i have included some other issues with the lighting effect:

- no tools to pinpoint light source

- seemingly no way to exit from the lighting effects window without restarting PS and resetting the workspace

Here's a pic to demonstrate my issue:

lighting-effects.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panvulcon, the only thing I could find was this quote from the official Adobe Photoshop Reference pdf: "note: Lighting Effects is unavailable in 64-bit versions of Mac OS.", but that doesn't explain your issue in Windows, because note that the pc version is not mentioned. So now I am mystified. My workaround is that when I want to use lighting effects, I use CS6 (64 bit), where the pointer and adjustment controls all appear. This works even though the Adobe reference for CS6 states that in MacOS, photoshop needs to be run in the 32 bit mode for lighting effects to work. So, maybe your effects will show up if you run CC in 32 bit mode, if that is possible in Windows. I would be curious if the controls show up in windows CS6 64 bit, if you have it available. I certainly do wish the official Photoshop references actually were in synch with reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have pointed out that im actually running this using creative cloud so im not 100% sure if it is version 6 or not. Anyway i gave it a go in CC 32 bit and the lighting effect was greyed out. I've had a few issues with illustrator too, including rulers that refuse to delete! It seems that been on the cutting edge has its bad points too eh.

I think i will raise it as a bug and see where i get. I'll let you know what they say if anything at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stated photoshop CS6 has the lighting effects controls, not version 6, which would predate the beginning of the "CS" designation. If you are a Creative Cloud subscriber, CS6 (for now) should be available as a download in addition to CC -- at least it was for me, but then I previously had CS6 installed so I am not sure that is true for all subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was this ever fixed? it is happening to me and i can't figure out why the lighting effects is not working. I can't move the light source around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to only be happening in CC. I am able to use lighting effects normally in CS6 but I can't in CC on Mac OS 10.8.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, still the same problem for me too, which I was hoping would go away when I updated to 10.8.5. So, I'm starting to think that the issue is totally with Adobe. I wish someone from Adobe would notice this thread and suggest some possible causes/solutions. Just did this experiment: Created a shape in CC, rasterized, applied a lighting effect, no directional controls available. Saved the file and closed. Opened same file in CS6, same spotlight, full directional controls now available. Sure seems like a bug in CC that needs to be fixed. (Incidentally F5 still deletes the active layer, despite the recent update.)(F5 issue fixed with update to 14.1.2 that I just installed -- but alas, still no lighting effects controls)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here... cant move the lights. very annyoing. i'm using the latest cc version and windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Handles are available but can not be adjusted. Parallel directional and soft direct work but no other lighting effects. Windows 10, i5 processor at 3.3GHz, 16 gigs ram, nvidia GeForce GTX 570. All drivers up to date. View - Show All does not fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here... cant move the lights. very annyoing. i'm using the latest cc version and osx mavericks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you install all possible updates, which it looks like you have. I am on os x 10.9, and ps cc 14.1.2 (x64). Now all lighting controls function, and 3d is fast and smooth (on a MacMini with Intel HD Graphics 4000, no less - which updates to 1 GB video ram available under Mavericks). Hope this helps if you are on os x. I have 16 GB ram installed, which may also be a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use on-image lighting controls:

View>Show> All

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View>Show> All

Thank you.

This worked people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, View Show all works like a charm. YOu can later remove grid line etc. But, first view show all should be selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT'S IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't work. Still I can't MOVE the lights during this process... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 04/08/14 I am also having this problem running Photoshop CC (latest version as of two days ago) from Adobe Creative Cloud on the following machine:

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e430

Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel i5 CPU 2.5GHz and 16 GB RAM (Unknown type)

I'm currently having to save all my work, more than 15 seperate documents, so I can close Photoshop and restart the application.

Not very happy. This is supposed to be the industry standard software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April,

I am running i5 @ 3.1 GHz and have 8GB of RAM.

I have 85 % of the 8GB dedicated to PS.

Go to edit >preferences > performance and increase your RAM use to above the ideal range.

There you can also check your scratch disk - my scratch disk has 700GB available.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this about using 3D in PsCC ? The term "lighting effects" is used and it's a little vague.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lighting effects are a filter found under filter> render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know ! I wanted to know what you were referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me either, when I click on the filter, it automatically closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that the handles are hidden along with guidelines, so enabling the view of guidelines (ctrl+h) also showed the lighting handles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem has this been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines