• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create new layer (icon grayed out)

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still make new layers by going to the Layer drop-down menu, but the icon itself is grayed out and unclickable:

laYER.JPG

The only solution I've found online has to do with the file's Image mode, but mine is just in RGB Color and the problem in the Layers window still persists across all files. I've never seen this happen before.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

cmd-alt-shift-N is the keyboard shortcut to create a new Layer, it might be quicker than the pop-up menu. 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Anyway, it sounds a lot like what’s mentioned in this Bug Report: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bug-report-photoshop-21-1-0-new-layer-and-new-group-buttons-in-the-layers-panel-stay-down-after-clicking

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmd-alt-shift-N is the keyboard shortcut to create a new Layer, it might be quicker than the pop-up menu. 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Anyway, it sounds a lot like what’s mentioned in this Bug Report: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bug-report-photoshop-21-1-0-new-layer-and-new...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up restarting photoshop like the OP in that bug report did and the issue went away. Thanks! Hope they figure out what causes the bug soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it seems that it is a known bug, you'll have to be patient, or revert to an older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue.Layer menu and command is ghosted out. Unable to select it or use keyboard shortcut to create new layer. Very frustrating.

Inexpensive, decade old 3rd party painting programs allow users to create new layers with EASE. Hard to do almost anything without running into issues and having to seek remedies. All of this repetitive resetting preferences, rebooting just to do the simplest tasks on a 1"x1" image...such a waste of time. (Wishing I had my old "PhotoPlus X6" from 10 years ago about now, so I could get some work done.)No layer commands.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I wish you had posted a meaningful screenshot. 

It’s commendable that you posted one at all but in this one it’s impossible to discern the Color Mode and Bit Depth of the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just Change your Color Mode From Indexed To RGB for exp

Khalilu_0-1704185857860.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines