• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move a folder

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! I am trying to move a group, and every time I try, it pops up this message: 

Could not move the selection because the pixels in a group cannot be edited without merging the group.

I merged the folder, but it doesn't help. Not sure why it won't just drag everything that's inside of the folder.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Grouping to move is a good idea. Let's try some things. With your move tool selected, in the options bar at the top of the screen there is something that says Auto Select. You don't have it checked in your first screenshot. Check it,  and choose group - this will move all layers in a group together. You can also link layers. Let's say you have text over a button or image, if you shift click those layers to select them, at the bottom of the layers panel you can hide the link button and they will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's in the group? Can you share a screenshot? Can you move the layers individually in the folder? 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying to move everything as a whole, inside of the upcoming games section. When I try and drag all of it, it pops up this message. Also, I am able to move everything separately once I disassemble the folder.Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 3.15.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't show me what is actually in the group. Let's clarify exactly what you are trying to do. Are you rearranging the order in the layers panel or are you trying to move all of the layers on the canvas? Can you hit your reveal arrow next to the group and show me all of the layers? If there isn't enough room on your screen, you can extend the layers tab to make it longer. To take a screenshot of just PS, use the keyboard shortcut cmd+shift+4 and then drag your cursor around the portion of your screen you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 3.26.03 PM.png

Ahhhh I see. Thank you for that! I guess it's painfully obvious I just started learning photoshop a few days ago lol. I am simply just trying to group everything together so I can drag it as one item, instead of moving everything one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grouping to move is a good idea. Let's try some things. With your move tool selected, in the options bar at the top of the screen there is something that says Auto Select. You don't have it checked in your first screenshot. Check it,  and choose group - this will move all layers in a group together. You can also link layers. Let's say you have text over a button or image, if you shift click those layers to select them, at the bottom of the layers panel you can hide the link button and they will move and transform together. I don't see anything in there that should be giving you problems. You can also save all of those layers together as a smart object - then they will be on one layer in your document but you can go back and edit if necessary. There is a lot to learn. Is this your actual work? You should ask your employer to pay for a class. There are lots of places that do online classes for professionals and you are a perfect candidate and typical of my students :).  I do private training and contract with Certstaffix, but there are lots of companies out there - look for a 3 day intro to PS class. In 3 days you can go from frustrated beginner to frustrated intermediate - I mean intermediate user, lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help, your solution worked! I'm actually going through a course right now, but the auto-select group just slipped my mind. I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines