• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open vidoes on Photoshop?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open vidoes in Photoshop CS4 Extended. When i import a quicktime file it says Movie cannot be opened. When i try to import a .mp4 file i get a message "Photoshop Stopped working" Whats going on why can't i import vidoes in to photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have quicktime installed on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening a video requires having the correct CODEC installed

This link is for Premiere, but the 1st question at the end has links to programs that will allow you to see inside the video file and determine the CODEC

http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting
Report back with the DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit easier with Photoshop as you only need one codec: QuickTime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have qucktime installed and various other codecs but its still isn't opening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the video play fine on your system and how large is the file size?

Edit: How much ram does your system have and how many programs are running in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2010 Apr 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS does not handle specific MPEG derivatives, including plain, unwrapped MPEG 4 streams. The file will have to be converted in another program.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno,

That is not quite correct. It is not quite so simple. Now, QT does install several CODEC's, but one needs the exact CODEC, and then the program needs to be able to use that.

This ARTICLE will explain CODEC's in more detail.

This ARTICLE will give more detail on file formats, and what can be inside them.

First, a CODEC must be installed onto the system, and then the program, PS in this case, must be able to work with that. I can "wrap" almost any CODEC into a MOV, extension, and only some will work.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with opening video files having Quicktime installed on to my computer. As said above, some MPEG files won't open & will need to be converted. Where do I convert the MPEG files so it could open on Adobe Photoshop CS4? I also don't get sound on the MPEG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For AV file conversions, I use a shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter. I love the batch conversion feature. Now, one DOES need the necessary CODEC's installed on the system. If one does not know the CODEC, the great, free utility, G-SPOT, will give you that info.

One freeware converter, that gets high marks is Prism, but I have never used that.

This ARTICLE will give some background on CODEC's, the building blocks of AV files. Those CODEC's are contained in what we see as the file format, but those are just "wrappers." This ARTICLE will give some background on wrappers, or containers, and tell you how to "peek" inside.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS - not sure what happened to the formatting of this reply, but I do not seem to be able to alter that. Will try with an edit, if it looks as bad, when I post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't get sound on the MPEG files.

Well, a "muxed" (multiplexed - containing both an Audio and a Video stream) file will usually have a CODEC for each stream. In the linked articles, above, I give tips on looking inside the files to determine exactly which CODEC's were used in the file's creation. Three popular Audio CODEC's are PCM/WAV [Uncompressed], AC3 DD (an MPEG variant, and allows for multi-channel Audio) and MPEG (usually Layer 1, or 3). However, that only scratches the surface of possibilities.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit, and Photoshop CS4 Extended.  I have the latest version of Quicktime and have lots of ram.  Prior to upgrading from Vista, I was able to open videos.  Now, I get a white screen and no animation.  The latest was a small avi file that does play in Media Player.   Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very likely that you either do not have the proper CODEC, or that PS-Extended cannot use it.

Above, I linked to two articles on CODEC's and file formats. Both should be of interest in this case.

Your AVI is but a wrapper. Inside that file you could find almost anything, and not just AV files, though they are certainly the most likely. However, AVI is like having what appears to be a stick of gum, wrapped only in the aluminum foil paper. What kind of gum is it? What will it taste like? The only way is to open that wrapper and peek inside. That is what the second article tells you how to do.

Now, following the gum analogy, let's say that you really like spearmint, but are allergic to doublemint. Your friend likes them both and has no issues. A simple AV file player is like your friend - any gum is good. Your PS-Extended, or Premiere Pro, is like you - spearmint is good, but won't touch doublemint.

Just a guess, based on the extremely limited info, I'd say that the CODEC inside the AVI is DivX, Xvid, or possibly MJPEG. However, if one has the latter CODEC properly installed, Premiere Pro will usually be able to edit it. I would guess that PS-Extended could too, but might be more limited, than it's video-editing cousin.

Good luck, and let us know what G-Spot tells you, about what is inside that AVI wrapper. That will be the key.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open any format. But it used to work. Just suddenly stopped accept

ing anything. Mov files etc. work fine in other programs including soundbooth but PS CS4 refused to open them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download and install the great, free AV utility, G-SPOT. When you launch it, the first thing that it will do is to survey your computer for properly installed CODEC's, for Video, Audio and muxed AV files. Then, just drag one of the problem files to G-Spot, and it will tell you both which CODEC's are required, and if you have them.

Here is a look at the G-Spot GUI with an AV file in it:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

It is possible that some other program broke your CODEC's, replaced some, or changed their priority enough to render them unusable.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I get the same problem with .mpg files on my mac. I've got quicktime installed, though not QT Pro if they still make that, sure they do... anyway it does open just fine in After Effects. Does that sound like CODEC problem? I don't know who or how this file was created...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge, QT Pro does not add any CODEC's that QT Player does not. All Pro does is unlock some extra features, like the Save_As and Export. The full Pro is installed, and those features are unlocked by the Pro version, along with an expanded Properties Panel.

Now, what does G-Spot say about your files? If you do not get the full report there, open in Pro, and hit Ctrl+J, to see the full Properties Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, my wish is to tackle this in less than 8 hours.

I cannot read .mov in photoshop cs 4

I'm using mac os 10

when I choose to open my .mov file. The dialogue box does'nt highlight the .mov files

I must change from all readable documents to ''all documents''

at the bottom left, the format box does not offer quicktime or .mov. it only remains 'photoshop raw'

When I open the file, I get a second dialogue box asking all sorts of formats.

Anything to do maybe with something missing in my photoshop pluggins?

help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that;

I have just updated my quicktime

The. mov files do open in Photoshop Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the CODEC contained in the MOV "wrapper?" It could well be one that PS-Extended cannot use, though you might have it properly installed on your Mac.

For a little background, see this ARTICLE on "wrappers," and then this ARTICLE for background on CODEC's.

I am puzzled why the MOV wrapper is not showing as a supported file format in PS-Extended, and especially on your Mac. At that point, PS-Extended is not yet looking inside the wrapper. You are not getting the linking to that wrapper, and that is odd, at least to me. The issue with the contained CODEC would surface, when PS-Extended tries to Import the AV file.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I've read the three or so pages on the subject of codec and wrappers. This

is way beyond what it should be. I have a colleague with a mac and cs4. and

does 'file,open,selects the .mov and they open. I must change from ''all

readable documents'' to ''all documents''. Even then , when I look at the

''format'' option, ''quicktime'' is not available. I have just fully

uninstalled pcs4 including preferences, updated quicktime and reinstalled

ps4. unfortunately, I still have the same problem.

2011/5/17 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

What is the CODEC contained in the MOV "wrapper?" It could well be one that

PS-Extended cannot use, though you might have it properly installed on your

Mac.

>

For a little background, see this *

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0* on "wrappers," and then

this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0 for background on

CODEC's.

>

I am puzzled why the MOV wrapper is not showing as a supported file format

in PS-Extended, and especially on your Mac. At that point, PS-Extended is

not yet looking inside the wrapper. You are not getting the linking to that

wrapper, and that is odd, at least to me. The issue with the contained CODEC

would surface, when PS-Extended tries to Import the AV file.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure but do you have Flash downloaded also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines