Can't save desired aspect ratio as default in Camera Raw

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make camera raw (ver. 12.3.0.493) default to a 1:1 aspect ratio and keep it there? It's driving me nuts. I am processing hundreds of photos and need to have the 1:1 ratio as a default.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did set a 1:1 Crop? and save  your  settings  as your ACR default settings? ACR workflow preferences only has a resizing to fit option. There is no cropping option. Why do you want to crop your images square???? With my AspectRatioSelection Plug-in script you can record a Batch 1:1 center Cropping action to crop images to want cropped square. Any size Image can be] centered cropped to Square.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Adobe support told me tot unstall en reinstall Bridge, grand full acces rights to all Adobe apps. Nothing worked. I want my aspect ratio default tobe 2 x 3. This is really messing up my workflow as I have to take one extra step ...if I rember to do so.... 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image Layers ACR creates should have the same aspect ratio as the Image file your camera produces.  Most Digital cameras  capture 4:3 or 32 aspect ratio Images some offer a 16:9 option.   I do now know about Tablet and Phone cameras,

ACR has a  Preference that can resize the images the camera produces the image should retain the aspect ratio the camera produces.  ACR does not seem to have a preference that can set a default crop of your cameras image.    ACR does have a cropping tool  That you can use crop Images to an Aspect Ratio 1:1 with and ACR will save the Crop Setting for the image,  ACR can sync ACR settings to others images.  It never made sense to me that one would want  to sync a Crop setting to be synced to all files.  For a set of image it could make sense. By default the crop setting is not synced.

image.png

image.png

You can also save  Legacy Setting including Crop setting and set default camera raw setting perhaps that is what you did at one time. You would need to reset these settings. And may had to check legacy in manage

image.png

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this is not exactly what I was asking. I just want to be able to set the crop tool to a desired ratio (in this case 1:1) and stay that way which is how the old ACR enabled me to do until I changed it back to something else. I don't want ACR to resize my images to this ratio automatically as I only want to do this with use of the crop tool. When I change it to 1:1, it returns to the default crop the next time I go to use it (2x3/4x6). Just another step that I don't need just like when I try to save a file and get a whole list of useless file types that I have never and will never use!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  Have you found a solution?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I wish I could revert back to the last version of Camera Raw.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Any recent response from Adobe? (as of 1-8-21)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't seem to care about customer feedback. Another example is the inability to either delete or at least change the order of file extensions used to save a file. JPEG is buried in the middle of a bunch of useless file extensions!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your RAW file directly in Photoshop – File > Open and there's a crop tool, click on it and you can set the aspect ratio, and lock it which is then set as the default.

(If you open the file within Photoshop – Filter > Camera Raw Filter, the crop tool is not available.)

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 22.13.13.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Derek, I know how to set the aspect ratio. The problem is in previous versions if you set the ratio and opened a new file the ratio stayed in the menu. Now, EVERY file, every time, requires you to go to the pulldown and assign the ratio... Very slow when you are processing 1100 images. There isn't even a keystroke to toggle through the ratios

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously crazy there is no valid answer for this yet.  Have you figured anything out?  It's driving me crazy also!  I have thousands of images to edit and I am not enjoying resetting crop each and every time!!!  What is the answer Adobe?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you got sorted yet but I found a solution.

Just reinstall an old version of ACR 🙂

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and the updated of photoshop crashed with the older ACR versions so having to struggle on with slower workflow in the new ACR. Couple of things I have found that save me some time in the new ACR ( or i may have just only found them ) using number keys ie 7/8 to colour code photos as they are worked on enables me to use the filter tool down the bottom to quickly select all edited to save ( green ) and all i want to work on further ( yellow ) etc. Also holding alt and double clicking the crop tool in ACR automatically staightens the image.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I have not yet either found a way of stopping it saving annoying xmp files in folders which has the knock on effect of unselecting the images in the folder your working on so when you go back you have to retrack where you had got too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm wondering if a solution has ever been found to this problem? I have finally been dragged kicking and screaming into upgrading to cloud version of Photoshop. I held onto CS5.5 for a looooong time and I've just discovered this intensely annoying issue. Please tell me there is a way to set a preferred crop ratio as default??

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will assume that the images were shot with consisitent light and subject position. Create a test folder with several copies of the raw images. Open the folder in bridge and select the first file. Using the crop tool slect 1x1. Make any other adjustments such as exposure. etc. Then click on the three dots on the right side of the dialog that is "more image settings". Save this setup as a custom setting, "Save Settings", with a descriptive name such as "1x1 photoshoot".

Now, with the first image that you edited selected hover the mouse over the first image and click the three dots and choose, Select all. Then hover over the first again, click three dots, and select Sync Settings and add "Crop" to the checklist. When you ok the dialog all images will be cropped 1x1. You can then select individual images to move the image within the 1x1 crop if necessary.

Since you have saved the settings as "1x1" you can invoke this setting everytime you need it by clicking the "more image setting" three dots on the right of the dialog, select "Load Settings", "1x1",  whenever you need to prepare the square files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. I can already apply a general 1:1 crop to all the images, simply by selecting a series of shots, and applying a 1:1 crop to the first image - it automatically will be applied to the rest of the images too. Then I can modify on the subsequent images. This approach however, is still much less fluid than camera RAW remembering the last crop format I had selected and allowed me to crop freely as I move through each image, like the default used to be. It's tedious and frustrating. Why did they have to fix something that isn't broken or at least offer an option to revert it to how it used to be! I work with hundreds of images at the same time, and edit quickly - this restriction on cropping slows me down.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyed here by the same situation.  And also Adobe removed the left/right arrows to move to the previous/next photo (not even a keyboard shortcut to do it).  Things that might look small, but make tons of difference when you have to work on hundreds of images.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After some messing just now think I have found a way , As an example I have loaded 60 images into ACR, i then go the the thumbnails on left and press ctrl+a to select all , then move across to the crop tool open it and change to 4:3 ( or whichever you want it to be ) , then click back on the basic settings button and continue to work as normal on each image but when you hit crop it will be set to the size you selected instead.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines