Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't warp pasted AI vector Smart Object using Free Transform in PS CS6

Engaged ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I pasted a vector object into PS CS6 (13.0.1 x32) today directly from Illustrator CS6 (16.0.1 x32), and selected "Paste as Smart Object" (Windows XP Pro SP3).

I then tried to warp the pasted object using the Free Transform tool by dragging one of the corner handles with CTRL held down (Windows).

This usually warps\distorts the object, but instead, this launched a skew operation.

If I paste as Shape Layer or as Pixels then apply Free Transform, <Ctrl + corner handle drag> performs a warp\distort operation.

Also, if I rasterise the pasted AI object, and then convert to a Smart Object I can warp\distort.

Is it not possible to paste an Illustrator vector in as a Smart Object, and then warp\distort it directly using this technique?

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Your right in that on a pasted vector smart one can't warp, distort or perform perspective transforms.

One workaround would be to right click on the vector smart object layer in the layers panel and

choose convert to smart object.

It depends on what your object is, but you'd probably get better quality from a pasted shape or path, but then you won't be able to open the object

back in illustrator from photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right in that on a pasted vector smart one can't warp, distort or perform perspective transforms.

One workaround would be to right click on the vector smart object layer in the layers panel and

choose convert to smart object.

It depends on what your object is, but you'd probably get better quality from a pasted shape or path, but then you won't be able to open the object

back in illustrator from photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the other problem is, you can only warp in Photoshop if the layer is rasterized. I really missing the smart object here. Warping image result in really blurry image and its a destructive workflow.

They should add warp functions like Illustrator can do, warp from top mesh. Now i need to jump between these 2 apps to do such

EDIT

.... I should have double checked before answering. I thought my object was already a photoshop smart object, but it was still a vector pasted smart object. Conversion in PS does do the warp, yeah!!!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These objects aren't very smart!!! Warping a vector should be easier than warping a raster, seems like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, the layers were labeled "Vector Smart Object" as I selected that when pasting it. I had to re-convert it to a smart object in Photoshop in order for the transform behavior to be as expected. (not skew but true corner pin). Thanks Jeff, this was driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines