• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can the interface menus and icons be set a little larger in 64bit Photoshop version CS6 ????

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the interface menus and icons be set a little larger in 64bit Photoshop version CS6 ????

It would be very helpful if the tools and font size choices were enhanced to Larger, Largest or custom enhance. Anyone know if that is an idea we can send to Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, can't we just agree that they are hard to see sometimes or at least some of the sub-sets difficult to differentiate? In fact I think that it's one of those things that's beginning to irk me just as well. I never thought I'd say this, but ever since my illness has begun affecting my eyesight and things may get a lot worse down the road it is a point of concern. Not in terms of making everything just bigger, but rather having options to make the apps more accessible. This still could include larger icons, but also simply cleaner panels and the ability to pick different fonts and font sizes...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I'm being perceived here as fighting against Adobe making the interface more accessible.  That couldn't be further from the truth.

All I'm saying is that I find it quite usable as is, and I want it known that not everyone agrees that things are hard to see.  I just don't want Adobe to think that everyone feels its too small.

The interface size settings in the preferences do affect a number of things, but unfortunately not all.  I haven't fooled with the Windows accessibility settings to see whether maybe the new version follows those.  I guess you're saying it doesn't.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying,Noel...And that's why I think Adobe should enhance the preference for UI icon and font size .. if you don't have a big HD monitor the current large setting will suffice, but the HD monitors can not go un- noticed .. it is difficult after spending hours working and slowing down a bit to focus on making sure somethin is active or to see an icon. Add all the other reasons that's been mentioned fof HD and who have a huge support base for it. If it makes a user's life easier then it should be implemented. Personally, the color sliders ,.. they can be bigger, too. I like using the sliders in front of me, it's faster .. if it takes a longer time to code.. so he it, I'd buy it znd it woukd be worth thr wait.

Joe Lampone

Comic book colorist

Animator

Educator

"The Force Will Be With You. Always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to let you know that I DO have what you would consider a big ''HD montior''.  Two of them, actually, each with more than 100ppi resolution. 

I'm not belittling your point of view, I just happen to prefer the chrome and controls small, and have no problem using things that way.  If there were a way to make them even smaller I'd probably experiment with it.

I hope the future holds even higher monitor resolutions, so we can stop worrying about such tricks as font smoothing.  Adobe will definitely have to deal with the issue.  I really thought they'd have dealt with it by now, to be honest.  This has been brought up at each new release in recent history, and I can only guess it must be a nearly insurmountable technical obstacle to make the remaining small UI elements work at a larger size.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya'll need to work on your people skills - Marshawn Lynch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOEL......ALL WE ARE SUGGESTING IS THAT ADOBE GIVE US ALL A CHOICE OF WHAT SIZE WE WANT TO USE.  YOU MIGHT LIKE THE SMALL SIZE, SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE THE MEDIUM SIZE, SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE THE LARGE SIZE, SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE THE HUGE SIZE.  NOT A PROBLEM FOR ADOBE TO PROVIDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Elements readable AND NO PROBLEM when PS has itsy bitsy tools and fonts??? Come on guys this isn't a pissing contest. This needs to be addressed. Smaller is NOT better in this case. I want to move back to PS from Elements but I'll be damned if I'll stress out my faculties!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is now a solution for the latest version (Adobe CC 2015.3.0) available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, you need more than glasses to get an acceptable perspective.

Sad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I also need an ESP amplifier to decode cryptic posts like yours.  Care to share what you really mean?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest advances in monitor quality, I was expecting to see menu icon size settings in CC. Verry disapointed! Just accept that some users do like to work on laptops and adjust colors in ther studios. One of our designers is struggling with a 15" 1900x1200 laptop, with icon sizes about 2x2 mm. Should I tell her "her something larger, heavier and bulkier or just downgrade your monitor"? I was, myself thinking about a 13inch light laptiop for working from the beach - doen't look like it's happening....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree totally - been struggling with this (sometimes need glasses sometimes not... tireness an issue - particularly after looking at an app with tiny font which cannot resize easily, clearly and consistently).

Just want to customise - first time I have found Windows apps with better interface options than Adobe!

I hope Adobe developers are considering a fix for this soon.

I use in an educational environment where they are tyring to get u t use Microsoft and open source...

With students bringing own devices with a range of resolution options the more individual user friendly the better to stay in the race!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad this thread got revived, because it needs to be as we still wait for a solution from Adobe. I too struggle daily with eyestrain due to the small font sizes in menus on my high-rez Dell UltraSharp monitor. I produce gallery-size fine art photographs and need the high-rez view for editing my images. I already have UI text font set to Large in Prefs.

The trend in GUI design is said to help  minimize "distractions" of the interface so the viewer can better concentrate on the image. I thought that was what the "Full Screen" toggle was for?  Sometimes I'm tempted to go back to CS4 running under Mac OS Snow Leopard on my old computer.

I would like to upgrade to an even larger and higher rez monitor, but I don't dare do it now. Until there is a better scalable menu-font & icon option in preferences, my not so bad eyesight has hit the wall with the current PS user interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing you could try, though I'm not sure this will make a difference, is increase the font size in your OS to see if it impacts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously?  People are asking to adjust CUSTOM SETTINGS.  I never reply to these things, but when someone is a huge self entitled judgemental fool, I can't resist...  Get off forums if your intent is not to help others.  Seriously.  I'm beyond shocked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the alot of differences in opinions here,..but this is good.  I think that Adobe should really make it a customizable feature.  This way all users set their prefs the way they want. Period.  I mean, when you look at the layers panel, it has options, right? Well, those options are to make the appearance of the layer boxes bigger.  If its that easy, then why not do that for the text menus, the tool bar, and anything else, a little more larger. Its not that hard to code that. Even if its just for the menu bars and tool bar. Just those two, would be a big help.  Also, I would like it for HD displays. Thats why I posted something to begin with. I want Adobe to start considering HD display levels with their Photoshop product.  Guess what, I loaded Photoshop Elements, the latest one, and the icons, text menus,...ALL NICE AND BIG...well, I mean bigger so one can comfotably see it on an HD display.  So why not do it to Photoshop. Elements is obvioiusly a dark UI, and they are doing the dark with Photoshop UI, ok, so, change the icons and all a little larger like PSE.

Its an easy solution.

Keep the comments coming folks, I appreciate it.  Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey, do you realize that there IS such a configuration option?  It just doesn't affect everything, and I naturally assumed we were talking about those things it doesn't affect, but it occurred to me you may not know you can make at least some parts bigger even now...

Edit - Preferences - Interface...

UIFontSize.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Noel..I do know of this in the Edit>prefs>interface.  Thanks for the response, though. I really do appreciate it. I'm running CS5 and I have a Dell HD monitor, it is set to 2560 x 1440. I am pretty sure that is the reason why the interface shows things smaller. I like to take full advantage of my card, and the HD monitor when I paint. So, I figure, Adobe should strive for making the icons and text fonts we see on menus and all a little bigger, or as an option.

I like how you set the pic for me to see it bigger. That was cool.

Anyways, I just thought it was time for Adobe and all vendors to code the interface for good readability. But, do you know what I mean with Photoshop Elements 10? It looks great with larger icons and things, Adobe should do it that way with Photoshop, too. I think I remember someone saying something of the fact that alot of us know where the tools we mostly use so we would hit up a hot key or something, but, there are so many, I actually just like to click on things and use my hot keys for other involved functions or techniques.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey Rocco wrote:

Hi, Noel..I do know of this in the Edit>prefs>interface.  Thanks for the response, though. I really do appreciate it. I'm running CS5 and I have a Dell HD monitor, it is set to 2560 x 1440. I am pretty sure that is the reason why the interface shows things smaller. I like to take full advantage of my card, and the HD monitor when I paint. So, I figure, Adobe should strive for making the icons and text fonts we see on menus and all a little bigger, or as an option.

This is exactly the point I was making in the other thread.  My 30 inch monitor with 1920 x 1200 pixels is right on the edge of being comfortable.  With 2560 x 1440 the tool icons are going to be that much smaller on the screen, and I doubt I would be able to see them.  This is the way monitors are going, and Adobe has to keep up with this.  Please please please!

BTW  The UI font size adjustment makes so little difference it is hardly worth messing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE BEEN USING "HUGE" IN THE BOX AND THE DIFFERENCE IS REALLY NOT TOO NOTICEABLE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think thats very helpful but I don't have the same settings as you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted this on this support page:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problem_with_hi_res_monitors

go there....and read everyone's posts. Good stuff, very interesting....here what I posted:

I think it is time by this next release for Adobe to adress the issue for high quality HD monitors. 2560 x 1440, or 2560 x 1600, these are screen resolutions alot of pros like to work at. Can Adobe application engineers produce a scalable option or add an option to the Edit>Pref>Inteface to make the icons for tools and text fonts for menus larger than what it already there. I am speaking for HD screen resolutions that are pretty high. Either way, I loaded Photoshop Elements 10, a trial version nonetheless, and the interface was great, large icons and all, readability was fine, so it is truly a "in-Program" fix so the interface can be adjusted to HD monitors, I have a Dell 27 inch. I know, the current version of CS5 when set to 2560 x 1440 the interface components get smaller, and that is why, but, Adobe has to code a new version to be higher scalable for these types of resolutions. If they can do it in PSE 10, why not Photoshop? After all, CS6 is gonna go dark UI, might as well scale it up, too!!!! C'mon Adobe, I've been using Photoshop since vers 2.0 in 1995, you can do this. I know, alot of us pros have hotkeys memorized or whatever, but there are so many other features and techniques, I rather click select a tool and use my hotkeys to do other involved tasks. Also, the Layers panel has an option to make the layer boxes bigger, if its that easy to include, why not add to the whole interface of components, or at least just the tools bar and menu bars and the dialogue windows to make adjustments and all......And if you do, can you mk a patch or something so I can do it in CS5? At least until I can afford CS6.....

What do you all think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey,

In addition to what Noel wrote, there is also your monitor resolution that can be tweaked. Spcifically, if you're using Windows 7...

• Right-click on the desktop
  • Select "Screen Resolution"
  • In the Screen Resolution dialog, there are 3 options in the lower center.
  • Click "Make text and other items larger or smaller"
  • Chose one of the 3 pre-set sizes <OR>
  • In the left column, click "Set Custom text size (DPI)"
  • Then scale the ruler until the text size suits your needs.

Word of caution: Most of the screen text will increase in size, but the dialog boxes and fields, and labels, and buttons and bows, etc. Oh my! may not.

Since you're using PS, I'm assuming you know how to calibrate your monitor color. You may also need to adjust the clear type text and screen contrast if you haven't done it in a long time. Title bar and (some) dialg box text can also be manipulated by clicking "Personalization" and fiddling with the Windows Theme text.

Another word of caution:  (if I may) If you're prone to tinker, like I am, wait for a day less busy. Once you get in there and see all the glorious things you can change, you might catch the "Let's see what else I can change" bug. And it won't be pretty. . . . .at first.

Hope this helps ya'

Randy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMEN.....I AGREE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNFORTUNATELY THE SIZE OF THE TEXT AND ICONS IN PHOTOSHOP DO NOT CHANGE AS WE CHANGE THE TEXT IN WINDOWS.  I'VE TRIED THEM ALL AND NO GOOD.  THIS IS AN ADOBE CODE AND HAS TO BE CHANGED IN PHOTOSHOP TO GIVE US DIFFERENT CHOICES OF SIZES.  SHOULD BE SIMPLE FOR THEM TO DO IN CS6 AS THEY HAVE IN ELEMENTS 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines