• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot stroke a path

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PS CC 2017 and I'm having problems stroking a path.   I think I have a setting wrong.  The option is greyed out.  No problem with this in my old PS.  Can you tell me what setting I may have wrong for this to happen?

ccps6.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

You have clicked the mask button. Therefore you have the vector mask and maybe it is still active. You can still stroke it if you have targeted something that you can draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, it looks to me like you're missing with the selection tool. All of the options that would be active if you were right clicking directly ON the path are grayed out. The thing that, to me indicates it the most is the "Add Anchor Point" normally would show with a checkmark next to it if you were right on the path. That's the default behavior when right clicking a path with the selection tool. Please confirm that you ARE using the black arrow (selection tool, not 'direct selection tool') as well.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the pen tool.  The same way I do it with an older version of PS and it works fine there.  It's a pain to have to save everything , close out and re-open in an older version of PS, which is exactly what I will have to do if this keeps up.

The problem is probably in the top bar.  I will send another screen shot of that.  Should the word selection be there?

Thanks.ccps7.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have clicked the mask button. Therefore you have the vector mask and maybe it is still active. You can still stroke it if you have targeted something that you can draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is probably in the top bar.

Once again: The screenshot seems pretty much useless as it does not include pertinent Panels like the Layers Panel and the Paths Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I reopened PS and tried again.  This time "Mask" was enabled (not greyed out).

This time the stroke option was working.  So the mask option has to be enabled for this to work.  That solves the problem!

Thank you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot seems pretty much useless as it does not include pertinent Panels like the Layers Panel and the Paths Panel. (edited)

Instead of using »Stroke Path« destructively using a Shape Layer with Stroke (as set in the Options Bar) may be a better alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are editing a vector mask. It's not a pixel mask so you can't stroke there. You need to have pixel layer or mask and path selected. You may have to copy the path from vector mask, activate pixel layer and then you can make a stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You all are so sassy and unhelpful, lmao.

The solution is to simply select a layer.

The path stroke options are greyed out because you did not have a layer selected, it has nothing to do with any options, settings, or preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have tried all of these things and my photoshop still doesn't allow me to 'stroke path' after making a shape with the pen tool. Do you have any advice on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was super helpful. thank you fro getting to the point and being kind about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totoally right lol.  Was having the same problem and all I had to do was select a layer. 

THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines