• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas freezes (nothing else does) and deletes a part of the layer sometimes

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at a loss. I just upgraded from CS6 to CC and started having all these issues that make me think hundreds of dollars a year for a sub is not worth it. I have contacted support and chatted with an agent who could only recommend that I duplicate the layer just to be safe but could not solve the issue for me. I searched around the forum and google extensively and could not find anyone who has the same issue (some similar but not the same issue or solution - there has been posts of people losing square areas of the layer but those were just "hidden" under a mask and they were able to recover it), hoping somebody can help me.

I draw using a Wacom tablet on Photoshop, installed on Windows 10. The app was updated today to V23.4 but the freezing issue was present even before updating, from day 1 of use. Not sure what triggers the freeze but it seems to be mostly when I'm zooming in for close up work. The canvas freezes and I can't do anything on it, but the rest of the app works as normal - I can open/close files, change tools, even save the frozen file, and history indicates actions are being performed when I click on the canvas with, for example, the brush tool active. The issue gets "fixed" if I close and open the file, but will re-occur at random intervals.

Today, the most frustrating issue happened. I was drawing for about 2 hours, closing and opening the file probably 5-6 times due to the above issue. In the first few minutes, I used the lasso tool to select a part of the layer which worked as intended. When I went to the move tool and tried to move the selected part, the image that was below the lassoed area disappeared. I zoomed out and the part returned, but zooming in made it disappear again. I saved and re-opened the file which restored the deleted image. Kept working, and the second time I used the lasso, it happened again. I went to save and re-open the file as that fixed it last time... only to find out that the image stayed deleted. And I mean deleted, not masked over or "glitching out" or anything. I can see the transform control box surrounding the remaining part of the image as if I had gone and deleted the rest of it myself.

I was live streaming the whole thing at the time and took screenshots just before re-opening the file so luckily I have a record of exactly what happened and a screenshot of the final product (which I will have to remake but at least I don't have to do it all from scratch). I am posting parts of the screenshot I took for reference (right: original image, left: glitched image showing layer boundaries). Also the other layers are fine, it just deleted stuff off of this single layer.

Original.jpgGlitched.jpg

I cannot recover the files as I have a habit of saving every few steps (my paranoia was my downfall here) and there are no auto-recover files available even though I have it enabled to save every 10 minutes. I know I can't recover my work, but I'm hoping somebody can help troubleshoot the issue. Otherwise my only other option is to roll back to CS6.

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your specs? Go to Help/System Info. Copy and paste details in your reply. This sounds a lot like a graphics card issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your computer meets the minimum CPU & GPU requirements. And get the latest graphics drivers from your card manufacture's website.

Most Creative Cloud apps work on:

• Windows 11 (64 bit), Windows 10 versions 21H1, 20H2, 2004, and 1909 (LTSB branches are not supported;)
  • macOS 12 (Monterey), macOS 11 (Big Sur), macOS 10.16 or 10.15 (Catalina).

- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

If that doesn't fix the issue:

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. 
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines