Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Version of the app

Photoshop Version 24.2.0

2. Platform and OS version

Intel x64 Windows 10

3. Basic steps to reproduce the problem

I have posted a workaround for this under another thread as someone was having the same issue. When using a Wacom Tablet (Intuos Pro) to pan the canvas becomes unresponsive. You can slect tools, menus, layers etc, but when positiong over the canvas you only get a pointer arrow. You can switch to another canvas and the all tools will work on the other canvas or a new one, but the one you panned on is frozen. If you select to zoom on the frozen canvas you can see the sliders on the edge changing as if the canvas is being resized, but the contents in the window are static.

I have found that when I deselect Enable Flick Panning under Preferences->Tools the issue goes away. Judging by posts others have the same issue when using their tablets and their solution is to restart Photoshop.

4. Expected result and actual result

The application pans and does not lock up the canvas.

The application pans and does lock up the canvas.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm experiencing this as well. I haven't been able to reproduce it at will but the last time I encounted this issue regularly it was tied to a change in the way PS interacts with Windows. Seeing as how Adobe recently introduced a bug that directly affects PS and Windows interactions I think playing with Windows Ink might be a worthwhile troubleshooting step. I do remember that last time the issue was related to flick panning as well, I just can't remember the exact fix from back then but it was as simple as altering a preference file and partially disabling Windows Ink. The disabling flick panning work around really makes me think that this is just the same flavor of bug from back when Adobe added in Surface device support in the Win10 era.

Personally, I haven't bothered trying to apply a long term fix to this issue again because I've been using my old work around(work around for frozen canvas: save file with frozen canvas, close file, open file, repeat as needed if canvas freezes again). Given the sheer amount of known bugs in the current PS release I'm planning on rolling back to a more stable version. It's kind of mindblowing in an 'ew, I pay for this?' way, how many bugs they've been creating lately but also completely not addressing with fixes or updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines