• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2017 canot open a .BMP file?

Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file."

Uh.... this is not good.  Not good at all.

I have no trouble working with bitmaps in previous versions of PS.  Fortunately, I kept CC 2015.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make matters worse, I can no longer open bitmaps in 2015 either.  Oh, this is really really bad.   I need to fix this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy

I've just opened one here. Do you want to link to a file and I will try

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave.  I think I solved the problem.  The USB drive had errors.  Go figure.  I scanned & repaired it.  Now the files are readable again.   What a day this has been.

I think I need a glass of wine now. 

Cheers!

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. Enjoy it !!! 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problems but the USB is not an issue.  These bmps in my case are on 3 1/4 disks (drive A) in a little peripheral I got on Amazon.  The image is 1995 though probable put on the disk when computers no longer read that size disk.  I try to open in Photoshop and aget a "cannot parse." I realize this may be a stretch. I was however able to open another bmp on the same disk....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you copy files over to your primary hard drive first?

That might be better than trying to read directly from ancient floppy disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot copy.  After selecting copy, a loading screen opens (like you would see in moving 100 files--the wide graph), says 0% then produces an error message 0x800706F9. This disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted." Importantly, after a number of times, I had been able to do this with another bmp file on the diskette. There are two remaining files and the second I have tried is the one which is producing these issues.  Also, the first was definitely an image. The second and third are titled "text.bmp" and I do not know what that means. It is possible a word processing file was corrupted and became a .bmp. Do I dare change the extension to .doc and try? Or will that make things worse!?

Another folder on the diskette is titled Emails and contains .eml files that I can perfectly open in Outlook. The first was from 1996.  I thought I'd share this quote "

A while back I saw on tv where they are trying to figure out what to do when the older computer mainframe systems hit the year 2000.  They were designed with 6-digit dating.  Hope they figure this out in the next uh, 3 1/2 years.    Or all our tax records may disappear, or equally wonderful stuff, who knows."

Still can't crack the bmp files though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines