• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing canvas size without changing image size

Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When changing the canvas size of an image, it also changes the image size of the layers themselves. I've never had that happen before. I recently updated PS to the version mentioned so that might be the issue.  I tried trashing preferences and it still did it. I tried various images and types (pngs, jpgs, tiff) since those are the ones I work with most and it still did it. I did a full uninstall/reinstall and it still did it.

I reverted to version 22.4.3 and it's back to working as normal where changing the canvas size doesn't change the image size of the contained layers. Not sure what happened there. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

If I decrease the canvas size while the layer is locked, it deletes the cropped pixels. If I unlock the layer first then decrease the canvas size, it doesn't delete the cropped pixels.

Apparently, the crop tool settings affect that behavior. If I have the crop tool set to delete cropped pixels, changing the canvas size will do it too, as long as the layer is locked. When that setting is turned off, shrinking the canvas doesn't delete the pixels whether the layer is locked or not.

This behavior s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble while resizing the canvas in Photoshop 22.5.1. I just tried resizing the canvas by going to Image, then Canvas size on a Windows 10 machine but it worked as intended. Would you be able to share a screen recording to show what's happening so that we can try to reproduce the issue?

You can also try to reset the preferences of Photoshop manually using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I decrease the canvas size while the layer is locked, it deletes the cropped pixels. If I unlock the layer first then decrease the canvas size, it doesn't delete the cropped pixels.

Apparently, the crop tool settings affect that behavior. If I have the crop tool set to delete cropped pixels, changing the canvas size will do it too, as long as the layer is locked. When that setting is turned off, shrinking the canvas doesn't delete the pixels whether the layer is locked or not.

This behavior seems to apply only when the image is a single layer. An image with multiple layers doesn't delete cropped pixels at all when decreasing the canvas size whether the layers are locked or not and whether the crop tool is set to do so or not.

My problem with the image actually resizing when I changed the canvas was a temporary bug, but this deletion behavior is repeatable. I think resizing the canvas should never result in deleted pixels regardless of settings or the number of layers but maybe that's just me. Either way, maybe this will help others who didn't notice it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reinstall photoshop with this tool (maybe some old preferences remains there):

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add canvas and the image layer is not the background layer your  images pixels will not changed at all the layer's bounds will be adjusted  to be correctly positioned over the canvas.  It you reduce  the canvas size your image pisels will not change if the image layer is the background it will be cropped however the remaining Image pixels will be the original image unchanged pixels the image will have less content.  It the layer is  not a background  the layer can still have all the images original pixels. However some will be clipped in the document composite because of the document's smaller canvas bounds.  Photoshop supports layers up the  Photoshop size limit.  Layer may have pixels outside you document's canvas size. However, I believe if you set the crop tool option to delete cropped pixels that all layers will be cropped to be within canvas size.

And I believe you may be correct when you state that Canvas size acts like the Crop tool  when the Crop tools option is set to delete pixels..  I would prefer that not to be true. on general principal  but When I use  Crop or Canvas size the lop off  image content  I normally ready to save out the finalise flat image. I will not save out  the cropped layer version.  That would be saved before the cropping.

Layers do not have to be canvas size or fit within a document canvas.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue. I have one layer with a blending optioned texture I applied to my picture. Now I am working on a 33% view. When I am positing the texture where I want it to be when I save my work it changes size. I am getting impatient because I tried everything to not change this texture on the layer and in the whole together.

What I have to do to keep it the way I see on 33% view?  Thank you guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue of my image size increasing when I increase the canvas size.  Did you find a resolution to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help, I am going crazy trying to figure out a way to make it as before. I downloaded the 22.4.3 version and it's has the same problem, I also downloaded the 2018 and 2017 version and it's still the same. Adobe please do something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it has always worked, and how it has to work. This is the expected behavior, the image size has to increase when you increase canvas size.

What you want is to scale down the image content. For that you use Transform, not Crop. Don't touch image size, canvas size or crop. Just select and transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If anyone is still having this issue I byassed increasing image size (so my layers wouldn't change size) by creating an artboard from layers and changing that size to where I needed it to be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines