• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing Color Profile for jpeg vs psd

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some artwork in photoshop and it was done in Adobe 1998 color profile. I love how it looks.  I did it in Adobe 1998 because the printer uses this color profile.  Now I need the artwork to be in sRGB.  I've tried to recreate the art work in sRGB but am not happy with the results.  If I simply change the color profile of the jpeg from Adobe 1998 to sRGB will that work when printed? I cannot see any color differences between the two on screen.  

Thank you, 

D.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just convert (a copy of) the file to sRGB, using Edit > Convert to profile.

There is no need to recreate the file, and if you're working with hex numbers, you will not be happy with the results.

Hex numbers will produce different colors with different color profiles – they are meaningless without the context of a profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I'll try 'Convert to profile' method on the jpg and on psd and see how are the results.  I don't know what working with hex numbers means. If you're referring to plugging in the hex numbers for each of the colors, then yes I agree that will render very different results.  

Thanks again for your help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole purpose of Convert to Profile is to preserve the colors unchanged in a new color space. Indeed, that's the purpose of color management in general.

It does that by recalculating all the numbers in the file. If that remapping didn't happen, the colors would change. There is a command for that too, Assign Profile, but you don't want to do that.

There is just one caveat: adjustment layers need to be flattened. The numerical adjustments will have a different meaning in the new color space, and so the result of the adjustment will turn out slightly different. This is why there is a checkbox in the Convert to Profile dialog (flatten layers to preserve appearance).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  Will have to try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines