• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking Option (drag) on a Layer moves me to Next Document instead of duplicate layer(s)

Participant ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't now when this happened, but I noticed the last few months in PS (latest)  that when I want to copy or duplicate a layer or several layers (groups or what not) by clicking on the layer and then holding down option and dragging it that it takes me to another document that is currently open. In order to stop this from happening I would have to close all the other documents except the one I'm currently on. This is annoying to do since I need all the other documents that are currently open for my project.

Has anyone run into this issue? I don't know how to disable this function if it's somewhere in the KeyBoard Shortcuts. Is this a weird new thing? Anyone experienced this?

I'm working on a iMac with OS Monterey (12.5.1)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you hold down option key the layer or group layers will be duplicated not moving to other document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm telling you it's not doing this as t is supose to do and why I asked the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this person posted this a while ago, but just like KillerRabbit, whenever I optioned clicked on a layer it was switching me to another open document. You really don't realize how often you option+click layers to do various things until something like this happens. Just in case anyone else is having this problem, here's the solution. For most of my option+clicking needs, I found that if I hold down the command key while I option+click a layer, I can do what just option+click did in the past. This still wasn't working when I wanted to view just a layer mask, though. After a lot of frustrating experimenting, I found you have to wait for hover text to appear before option+clicking the layer; only then will it truly behave the way it did in the past.  Hope this helps save someone the frustration I went through!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was just happening to me a week or so ago with multiple opened documents. I'll try and do as you suggested and recalibrate my work process. I wish they would fix this glitch. I can't see a reason why clicking and holding on a layer + option  would bring you to an open layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Weird  about the mask thing and waiting for hovering text. I haven't done that in a while perhaps because I might work on mask stuff in the channels panel. 🤷🏻‍:male_sign: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines