Clipping Multiple Layers

Participant ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

How do you "stack" clipping layers? For example, I want to:

1) paint a big green blob

2) clip a new layer to this and then make dark green dots inside it on the new layer

3) clip a new layer to the dark green dots so i can paint yellow over just the dark green dots

How would I do this? When I try adding the third layer for #3, it clips to the root layer of the big green blob, rather than just to the dark green dot layer.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clip the upper yellow dots layer to the middle dark green dots layer. Select both layers and create a smart object layer.

Clip the smart object layer to the big green blob layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen's method is a bit awkward, but I think that's about the only way it can be done. Stacking clipping mask always clips to the base layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another alternative would be using a Layer Mask on a Group containg the different Clipping Groups. 

Whether it is useful depends on the situation, but as you seem to have spoken about Layers with flat color areas it might. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines