• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closing file using CTRL + W is not working in version 25.3.1

Participant ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing a file using CTRL + W is not working in version 25.3.1, although Alt+Ctrl+W is fine.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @Ulysses_Oliveira. I'll need more info to help you figure this out.

I tried this on two of my machine, but this didn't reproduce. Please share more details.
1 - Are you closing a document that is saved already? Is this a new document that has not yet been saved?

2 - How many documents are open?

3 - Are you saving files locally, or the cloud?

Please keep the Windows On-screen keyboard open & check if the shortcut is recognized.

P.s.- Check the background apps that could be conflicting with the Photoshop.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right and I am sorry about that. In fact, Ctrl W is not working in any program in my machine. I think this started after the latest Windows update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl Alt C for Canvas Size stopped working for me a week or so back, and depite exhaustive attempts to fix it, it remains broken.  I thought my issue tied in with installing the Brave Browser (the only way I know right now, to view YouTube videos without the annoying adverts.  Uninstalling Brave failed to get the shortcut working again, and few days later, a Windows 11 update broke my display driver and I was left with three black screens and no way to see the OS.  That came down to disconnecting two of my screens which let me see the OS again, where I was able to reinstall the video card driver, and all was well.

This site lists which Windows apps use a particular shortcut, which gives you a fighting chance of tracking down a background process which might be stealing focus from Ctrl W.  It's not 100% but it has 336 apps that use Ctrl W!

I'm sure you know how to do this, but hit Ctrl Alt Delete and choose Task Manager, and look through open apps and background processes for apps on the defkey list and (if it looks safe to do so) And Task them.  The Geforce Experience is a good candidate.  I don't know whether it uses Ctrl W, but I do know that it steals focus for some Photoshop shortcuts.  You can turn off the GE Overlay 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl F4 always works for me.  It asks if you need to save if the document has changed since opening.  Otherwise it is gone in a flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely, my problem had nothing to do with PS but with Windows. I fixed it by deleting my keyboard drivers through the Device Manager. Windows will reinstall them after rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines