• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Profile Nightmare

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone through many of these discussions and nothing has solved my problem. Photoshop does not display my images properly, white is yellow. I've deleted and added new color profiles to Windows, I've calibrated new profiles to display as white, then importing raw images to Photoshop, they are dull and lifeless, in Lightroom the thumbnails are yellow, histogram yellow, but when I click on the image it's full color. How is this a corrupted color profile? The rest of my desktop looks fine. Also Premiere HDR videos look horrible and I've also done the whole "Color Override" option which did not fix it just altered it.

Is this a bug or what? I cannot edit my photos like this, I don't know what the end product is going to be now.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a broken monitor profile. Classic symptoms.

Ideally you should be using a calibrator to make your monitor profiles. If not, you're probably getting laptop/monitor manufacturer profiles distributed through Windows Update. These manufacturer profiles are very often bad in various ways.

For now, until you get a calibrator, replace your broken profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in Windows color management (screenshot below). It won't be entirely accurate, but better than a broken profile.

Return all Photoshop color settings to where they were! That's not where the problem is.

Relaunch Photoshop when done, it loads the monitor profile at application startup.

Displayprofile_50_1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read my post? I did all of that.

William Sikora III

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using Windows 11?

If so, then the reason for your nightmare is not Adobe, but Microsoft, which has not been able to fix a bug in the color management subsystem of  Windows 11 for more than six months (it appeared at the beta testing stage):

Microsft tech community
Eizo press-release

Due to a bug in the OS, it is not possible to get the ICC profile information even though the ICC profile has been correctly applied to the OS. There is currently no solution within the software settings. We highly recommend not using a PC installed with Microsoft Windows 11 for the time being.

Carefully read the topic on the Microsft tech community at the link above, there is advice on how to temporarily assign a profile through the WCS defaults (it has its own limitations, but it can solve the problem for a while)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am on Windows 11, I will give this a try. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try it. The problem with using a device profile in WCS is that the profile is assigned to the entire Windows workspace and uses a color engine from Microsoft. On the one hand, this solves the problem, but on the other hand, programs with their own color management system (such as Adobe products) still do not see the monitor profile and this can cause problems in certain situations.
I made the decision to return to Windows 10 until this bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this is usually caused by a display profile that does not precisely describe the actual display in use, and that it can typically be corrected across all applications by generating a custom display profile.

@iamsikora wrote:

Also Premiere HDR videos look horrible and I've also done the whole "Color Override" option which did not fix it just altered it.

I haven’t worked much with HDR, but it is important to point out that Color Override is like Assign Profile in Photoshop: It forces the program to assume the color is a certain way, and that means, it’s going to look right only if the color really is the way it’s being told. If you Color Override to Rec.709, for that to work right that had better be the actual color standard of that video, because HDR is supposed to use a wider color space than Rec.709.

Premiere-Pro-Interpret-Footage-Color-Override.jpg

Also, if the display profile is correct then be sure to try enabling color management in Premiere Pro, which will make the color system respect and use profiles in the way that Lightroom Classic and Photoshop do.

Premiere-Pro-Display-Preferences-Color-Management.jpg

And finally, if you really are using a true HDR display, then in Photoshop 2022 (v23), it might be worth enabling Precise Color Management for HDR Display, which is a new Technology Preview.

Photoshop-Preferences-Precise-Color-Management-for-HDR-Display.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all these steps and nothing fixes it. Created new custom profile, deleted all current, added new, deleted PS preferences, the only things not working is Adobe. 

Lightroom thumbnails and full pix are yellow in Library but when I go to Develop, the full image is proper color, yet thumbnail still yellow. When I open that image in Photoshop it's yellow.

The cartoon character eyes and sky below should be bright white, a menu pop up for example is clearly showing proper white, yet the color selector on the toolbar is not white.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Screenshot_5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines