• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Space boxes to check in the Export window

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make collages and composites in Photoshop.  When I create a new document in Photoshop I always choose the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 Color Profile.  I bring any number of images into my Photoshop document and don't pay attention to their color profiles.   I always assumed that Photoshop would show these images on my screen in sRGB.

When it's time to export the image, I want the exported image to be in sRGB.  Is it necessary to check the Convert to sRGB box in the Export window, or is that redundant?  I assume I should be checking the Embed Color Profile box.

Why do I care?  What's my goal?    I don't often print my work, but when I do it goes to a photo finisher who uses sRGB.  I post my work on My Profile, but I understand that the images will look different on every monitor that isn't properly calibrated for the sRGB color space.  But if my monitor and theirs are properly calibrated, I want us to both see the same thing.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, always check "embed color profile". No exception.

The embedded color profile in your master document overrides everything else. When you paste other documents into it, they are automatically converted in the paste operation. Placed Smart Objects retain their original color spaces/profiles internally, but again get automatically converted to the master color space on rasterization/output.

And yes, to see that correctly, the monitor needs to be properly calibrated and profiled. But note that it's not calibrated "to sRGB" as you say, nor does it need to be. The monitor is just profiled as it is, whatever that may be.

For this you need to use a calibrator, which does two things. First it roughly adjusts the monitor's response to certain parameters (R=G=B relative to a certain white point). That's calibration. Then it measures the result, and writes a detailed icc profile describing the monitor's behavior in this calibrated state. This monitor profile has a much higher precision level than the calibration.

This is a standard color management chain, where a source color space (the document) is remapped/converted into a destinaton color space (the monitor). Those converted numbers are sent to screen, thus representing the original data correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lc55472355 As D.Fosse wrote always embed the profile it tells other systems (and yours) about the intended meaning of colour values. 

I bring any number of images into my Photoshop document and don't pay attention to their color profiles.   I always assumed that Photoshop would show these images on my screen in sRGB.

Photoshop can convert images with embedded profiles that don't match your selected image colourspace.

I you select "ask when pasting" in Color Settings you'll get a notice when an incoming file does not match and the opportunity to convert it (in your case, to sRGB). 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NB, colourmanagement net  Thank you for suggesting "ask when pasting" in Color Settings.  I thought it would be in Settings/Preferences but I found it in the Ps main menu under Edit > Color Settings...

Attached is the Color Settings window with the default settings I was using and the same window with custom settings after I checked Profile Mismatches: Ask When Pasting.

Should I also check Missing Profiles: Ask When Opening?

Is there anything else that looks problematic in the Custom Settings window?

Lastly, with all this color profile matching as I work, it seems like checking the Convert to sRGB box in the Export window would be unnecessary.  Should I ignore that setting and leave it unchecked?

Thank you and D. Fosse so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no point in having any of the warnings checked. They tell you nothing useful. There's nothing that "needs to match" anyway. These warnings are a relic from a time when color management wasn't widely implemented.

Just embed the profile, and everything will be correctly handled.

This is how you keep track of your color spaces. This tells you everything you need to know at a single glance:

notification_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@lc55472355 About your screenshot of the Edit > Color Settings dialog titled:  "Color Settings - Custom" - it looks pretty much OK with 2 options open to discussion - read on.

 As to your question:
"Should I also check Missing Profiles: Ask When Opening?"

Personally, I do recommend checking all the "ask" options (screenshot below). It's easy to revert if the popups arent telling you anything useful. I like users to be reminded about image colourspace when relevant. Just my 2c worth.

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 10.15.08.jpg

It's true that, as long as an embedded profile is preserved, Photoshop will display your image correctly.

In your situation where you'd like to work in sRGB colourspace throughout, you may find those "Profile Mismatches - Ask When Opening" & "Missing Profiles - Ask When Opening" popups useful to catch the occasional non sRGB file or one with no embedded profile.

As you've seen from @D Fosse's reply not everyone finds those useful. But I like to have them active. 

"Lastly, with all this color profile matching as I work, it seems like checking the Convert to sRGB box in the Export window would be unnecessary.  Should I ignore that setting and leave it unchecked?"

If your image files are already sRGB (the SAME sRGB, there are variants) then there's no need to convert but I can see no disadvantage in leaving that option checked. sRGB to sRGB is a "null transform" - so the effect of having it checked should be 

a: image colourspace sRGB - no transform (so, no damage)

b: non sRGB colourspace = transform (which would be a good thing as your requirement is for sRGB)

I tend to use "save as" rather than "export" - just my own preference.

For recent versions of PS, you'd want to check "Enable legacy Save As" in file handling Preferences

large.png

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines