• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors off when file is re-scaled

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a strange problem. When I print a test image at half size (5.5 in x 8 in. sheet) the color is fine. When I print the image full size (11 in. x 8 in. sheet) the colors are way off: blues, cyans and greens are over-saturated, while reds and magentas are under-saturated. The half-size image was scaled down in Photoshop, and both prints where printed with the same profile.

The same thing is happening in Lightroom. In Lightroom, if I print using Canon Print Studio Pro, both prints are fine (Print Studio Pro is quitting on me in Photoshop; I'm asking for help with Canon on that.) The full size print is also fine when printed with other image apps.

It was suggested I reset Photoshop and Lightroom preferences back to defaults, but that hasn't solved the problem.

iMac 21 in, Mac OS 10.14.5, Photoshop CC 2019 (latest version)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color mode is your file using? What are you color management settings?

When you look at your print options - do you let Photoshop decide color or printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color mode is RGB, and Photoshop is managing color. I'm careful to ensure the same paper profile is used in both cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a document that may help explain:

Print with color management in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I looked at it, and can't see any obvious errors I've been making.

There are two things I should point out. First, I was previously making prints in Photoshop and Lightroom at the problematic size with no color shifts. One day, a print was markedly off, and a test file with color bars, patches, and gray scales, was also printing differently at the two sizes in both apps.

The other thing, which I forgot to mention, was that I tried printing from Photoshop at 8.5 x 11 with the printer managing color, and the output was acceptable, if not outstanding. But a print at that size with Photoshop managing color was way off, although the smaller test print was fine; the only change being that the smaller one had been scaled down in Photoshop.

Still perplexed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you are printing at different sizes, are you scaling in the print window or changing the pixel dimensions of the file?

Either one can affect color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-scaled using the Image Size function in Photoshop. Interestingly, the smaller, scaled version prints fine, while the original, unscaled file is the one printing with wonky colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are your full dimensions including PPI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The original file is 1600 x 2000, printed at 200 PPI; the scaled file is 800 x 1000, also printed at 200 PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines