• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Command W

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used command W to close image window in Photoshop and also application window (not quit, just close). Newest version 22.3.1 no longer does that. Closes image but does not close PS window. Have to "manually" close it.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

@withwords wrote:

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Is your Application Frame (Window menu) enabled or not?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to do it on my copy of PS,  and I'm using the newest version on my Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am probably not explaining well. Command w closes an open image window but leaves blank photoshop window in place. Have to click the red close button to close it. For years I would hit command w/command w to close image and close PS window. Now, when I just open photoshop (not from an image, just clicking on application in dock) and look at file drop down, command w is grayed out so I can't just close the window. It seems small but so many years of muscle memory doing it the other way. Also when that stays open it covers up things below on the desktop so going back and forth between a folder contents and when opening and closing a bunch of files, it's tedious. Thanks for the response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@M. Adele154A wrote:

I am probably not explaining well. Command w closes an open image window but leaves blank photoshop window in place. Have to click the red close button to close it. 

Right, as designed. You want to quit Photoshop? 

At least on Mac (and I've been using PS since 1990), Command W has never quit or made Photoshop 'disappear', it simply closes the window. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

close the application window without quitting? Do you mean hide the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver wrote:

close the application window without quitting? Do you mean hide the application?

Cmd+W is the Mac shortcut to close a document in every Mac application. Cmd+H is hide — in Photoshop you get a choice the first time you use Cmd+H to hide the application or to use the PS shortcut.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@M. Adele154A wrote:

Newest version 22.3.1 no longer does that.

Hi @M. Adele154A 

The newest version is 22.5.1, not 22.3.1

Cmd+Q will quit the application; Cmd+W only closes the document. If you close the document and click away, the title bar changes, but that is not the same as quitting the application. This is how OSX and macOS have always worked.

[Edited after closer reading]

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you might be talking about the Application frame. Try toggling it from the Window menu and see if that's what you are thinking of.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@withwords wrote:

Is your Application Frame (Window menu) enabled or not?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Window, yes, it's checked. Should I uncheck that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have been presented with a counter-question about a very specific on/off setting and now it would seem prudent to me for you to try both settings before asking further. 

And if that does not affect your problem please post meaningful screenshots to illustrate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it -- Application Frame (Window menu). Thanks! But wouldn't it be nice if ALL windows responded to cmd-W?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthew240572512rn3 wrote:

That fixed it -- Application Frame (Window menu). Thanks! But wouldn't it be nice if ALL windows responded to cmd-W?

• When the Application frame is on, Photoshop behaves similar to an application in Windows OS.
  • When the Application frame is off, it is more like a native Mac application.

Mac users have a choice — they can turn the Application frame on or off as they prefer. (I like it on.) Windows users don't have a choice — the Application menu is always on and cannot be turned off.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Matthew240572512rn3 wrote:

But wouldn't it be nice if ALL windows responded to cmd-W?

No, that would not be nice, it would be confusing. Because that isn’t Mac standard behavior for a multiple window application. For decades, Command-W has been the shortcut for closing a single window on the Mac.

Below are four Apple applications installed on every Mac, and all support multiple windows. All of them use Command-W for closing just one window.

Apple-application-File-menu-Close.jpg

Command-W in Photoshop is consistent with all of these Mac applications by Apple.

Both Apple Safari and Photoshop have a command for closing all windows without quitting the application, but they are different:

Safari has Close All Windows with the shortcut Option-Shift-Command-W.

Photoshop has Close All with the shortcut Option-Command-W. If you want to close all windows without quitting the application, as you said in the first post, then this is the command and the shortcut you want.

The commands and shortcuts for closing all windows without quitting are different, because they haven’t gotten standardized on the Mac. It’s historically less common for Mac applications to have a command to close all windows without quitting the application. That’s why there is no Close All Windows command in the four applications shown in the picture above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines