Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Command W

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used command W to close image window in Photoshop and also application window (not quit, just close). Newest version 22.3.1 no longer does that. Closes image but does not close PS window. Have to "manually" close it.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to do it on my copy of PS,  and I'm using the newest version on my Mac

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am probably not explaining well. Command w closes an open image window but leaves blank photoshop window in place. Have to click the red close button to close it. For years I would hit command w/command w to close image and close PS window. Now, when I just open photoshop (not from an image, just clicking on application in dock) and look at file drop down, command w is grayed out so I can't just close the window. It seems small but so many years of muscle memory doing it the other way. Also when that stays open it covers up things below on the desktop so going back and forth between a folder contents and when opening and closing a bunch of files, it's tedious. Thanks for the response!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@M. Adele154A wrote:

I am probably not explaining well. Command w closes an open image window but leaves blank photoshop window in place. Have to click the red close button to close it. 

Right, as designed. You want to quit Photoshop? 

At least on Mac (and I've been using PS since 1990), Command W has never quit or made Photoshop 'disappear', it simply closes the window. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

close the application window without quitting? Do you mean hide the application?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver wrote:

close the application window without quitting? Do you mean hide the application?

Cmd+W is the Mac shortcut to close a document in every Mac application. Cmd+H is hide — in Photoshop you get a choice the first time you use Cmd+H to hide the application or to use the PS shortcut.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@M. Adele154A wrote:

Newest version 22.3.1 no longer does that.

Hi @M. Adele154A 

The newest version is 22.5.1, not 22.3.1

Cmd+Q will quit the application; Cmd+W only closes the document. If you close the document and click away, the title bar changes, but that is not the same as quitting the application. This is how OSX and macOS have always worked.

[Edited after closer reading]

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder if you might be talking about the Application frame. Try toggling it from the Window menu and see if that's what you are thinking of.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines