• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusion on file size

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image that needs to be not greater than 3.5MB but the longest side has to be at least 1800 pixels to qualify for an art entry, I called for help this morning but just as the tech was making progress the call dropped. When I view the metadata in a finder window (Mac) it meets those criteria, however when I open it, and look at it using Image>ImageSize, the number of pixels on the longest side is ok but the file size is 11.7mb.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

@LynnPassionart The 3.5MB criteria you have been given is likely to be the filesize as saved to a disk. On saving files can be heavily compressed to save disk space, especially when using jpeg, and to cut down filesize when sending online.

The data you see in Image > Image size is a simple calculation of pixel width x pixel height x 3 (for an RGB 8 bit image) or x 6 (for an RGB 16 bit image). It has nothing to do with the compressed file size on disk.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop, but I think I just got an answer. Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LynnPassionart The 3.5MB criteria you have been given is likely to be the filesize as saved to a disk. On saving files can be heavily compressed to save disk space, especially when using jpeg, and to cut down filesize when sending online.

The data you see in Image > Image size is a simple calculation of pixel width x pixel height x 3 (for an RGB 8 bit image) or x 6 (for an RGB 16 bit image). It has nothing to do with the compressed file size on disk.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

you made that so much clearer than either of the tech support people I spoke with today ( they did fine, I just didn't understand it as well as I do now)

Thank you, I appreciate you.

Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've marked his answer as Correct Lynn.  That means one of those Amazon drones will shortly drop a big box of chocolates off at his house.  He'll be reet pleased pet.  It'll help him get over that oop north weather.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha - I see you have our weather spot on Trevor.  Apparantly Amazon have been testing drones here, I hope they aren't that big though! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines