• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusion on Gradient Tool Behavior

Participant ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the gradient tool, it affects the layer, and if I am unhappy with its results, I just UNDO and then try again. It is basically a "one shot deal" ... love it or hate it.

However, in this YouTube tutorial (5:25 to 6 min.), the gradient tool in the mask seems to be ADDITIVE, like he keeps adding to what is being masked.  https://youtu.be/oZr378NyOKM?list=PLHRSsMUaMQK3CeE_8Ayg36ix01Zgh9teI&t=325 

When I try this, after one gradient tool stroke, it completely annihilates any prior masking and creates something from scratch. And the same for each successive gradient tool stroke.  So how is he able to make it ADDITIVE? Please help!  Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

The problem as i see it is your settings.

First you need to select the Foreground to Transparent gradient and then you need to check Transparency in the Gradient tool options.

(you have your Edit>Preferences>Workspace set for Enable Narrow Options Bar, so you don't see

the word Transpaency in the Tool Options)

grad1.jpggrad2.jpg

After that you should get the same results as in the video in your intial post.

The Narrow Options Bar

grad3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a diffrent problem.  I can't get the gradient tool to do anything but black & white.  I can't find the gradient control panel anywhere to look and see if I have it set on grayscale or Foreground to background.  This is a NEW problem.  I've used Photoshop for years and NEVER had this happen.  This problem just started yesterday. I'm also on a deadline!!!  I'm on Windows, set to classic Gradient,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and the foreground to transparent fixed it.  Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I can't find the place to make the FG to BG transparency change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click on the gradient tool to reset it, I don't get the same options shown how to reset it.  It seems stuck and all my reset workspace, rebooting does NOTHING!!  This is very frustrating.   I've been on paid Photoshop for years since they stopped supporting the creative suiteI  I bought this years ago and this is the first time it's done this!  HELP!!!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting G on the keyboard will select the gradient tool. This will show the top bar options. Ctrl/CMD G will bring up the grad pane. 

can you attached screen grabs so we can see what is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't right click on the grad tool icon for options. It is in the Gradient Window. Under Window/Gradients. Top eight should be a drop down list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what now toons,

Since this thread started, Adobe changed the Gradient Tool.

under Improved Gradients

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/gradients.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes me crazy, i only want any color to transparent in the classic old way, not pressing undo each time, or delete and make a new layer. If i would want multiple paints i just add multiple layers, simple as day and night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@tampit.ro , what are you talking about exactly? 

Please post meaningful screenshots including all pertinent Panels to illustrate the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something seems strange, though. 

Resetting the Tool should have activated Transparency and @PECourtejoie recommended that pretty early on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines