Constrain angles of path handles?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I have used the Convert Point Tool on a point, and have some nice bezier handles sticking out at the desired angle, am I able to elongate an individual handle along the exact same angle that it currently lies on? As it stands, when I grab the individual handle with the Convert Point Tool I can freely move it anywhere, so as I try to elongate it along it's current angle / trajectory I always get some unwanted movement, which changes it's angle. Is it possible to constrain that movement purely along it's length? At present I can hold down Shift, but this only constrains the movement vertically or horizontally, not along it's current angle. 

Hope that makes some sense. If not I will make a diagram / video. 

Feel like this is something that others must have come across before? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no option to achieve maintaining the angle while dragging bezier handles.

Using a Script would most likely need numerical input (or an UI element like a slider) in a dialog and not allow on-canvas-dragging. 

It’s one of the reasons why it is so useful to set curve points on the horizontal and vertical extremes, that way one can use the shift-key … 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a feature i've been requesting for decades. Unfortunately, i imagine very few people working at Adobe ever use paths for hours a day, so the needed improvements are non-existent. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default8wcd4dpnqeru wrote:

Hope that makes some sense. If not I will make a diagram / video. 

Yes, it makes sense, as Adobe Illustrator has had this (seemingly) forever. Smart Guides display a screen tip "ON" so if you go astray a little, you just move your mouse until "ON" reappears. It works exactly as you describe. In addition, you can set up Custom Construction Guides and specify an angle even before you start to draw. 

Paths can be copied from Illustrator to Photoshop. 

I just did this earlier this week when I drew lines across all the straight edges in a building and then extended them (in Illustrator!) out to the vanishing point. To make sure I lined things up when I got back to Photoshop, I also drew a small square in the upper left of the image. 

Illustrator would let me convert those paths to guides, but Photoshop does not support angled guides either, so I pasted them as Paths in PS and stroked them on a new layer. 

Unfortunately, Photoshop does not have the ability to maintain the angle of an existing path. 

~ Jane 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the replies, they are much appreciated.

I'm not sure I knew Illustrator had this feature, but it appears to be the easiest answer. Draw in Illustrator and then move the paths over to Photoshop. 

I do wish the Illustrator and Photoshop teams would share more. One day Photoshop might get more than seven colours for it's layers too!

Thanks again all! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @default8wcd4dpnqeru , and I'm glad the Illustrator solution will work for you. If you run into snags, ask again, because I do this a lot.

Photoshop has adapted quite a few features that started in Illustrator, but not all. The code in the applications is different since when they were first developed they had no connection to each other. We don't know what is easy to implement and what is not. Feature requests can be made by starting a new post in this forum and tagging it as "Ideas" instead of "Discussions". 

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm...

I possibly spoke too soon. I can't get this to work with Smart Guides, certainly can't get any sort of indication or 'ON' to appear when using them.

If I hold down Command before I click on the handle with my Convert Point Tool, I get partial success, where my chosen handle is able to be freely transformed in both angle and length, whilst only influencing the angle of the opposing handle, but not it's length. Not quite what I am after, as I can do the same in Photoshop. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default8wcd4dpnqeru wrote:

I possibly spoke too soon. I can't get this to work with Smart Guides, certainly can't get any sort of indication or 'ON' to appear when using them.

Give me a few minutes and I'll go to my computer to check.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edited

Sorry, I seem to have been mistaken as I cannot reproduce the behaviour at current. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default8wcd4dpnqeru 

I'm writing the top of this post first, as I misread your post. Yes, Smart Guides work for the direction lines. Use the Direct Selection tool and watch for "on".

janee_6-1649338022738.png

I already made these next screen shots, though, so I'll leave them for "just in case". Do check your Preferences against mine as I may have set something.

First, here are my settings in Illustrator: Preferences > Smart Guides. I added "17" as a construction guide so Smart Guides will work at a 17° angle.

janee_0-1649336972926.png

This next part is what I wrote when I misunderstood your post:

• In Illustrator: draw a path — you can use the line tool or Pen tool, as Illustrator does not differentiate after it is drawn. 
  • Switch to the Direct Selection tool. Deselect, then select one anchor point.
  • Drag the anchor point and watch for the screen tip "on".
    janee_1-1649337338311.png

• If you see a screen tip with the Distance for X and Y, then you are not staying on the same angle.
    janee_3-1649337537622.png

• I tried it by drawing a rectangle, then moving one anchor point with the Direct Selection tool. It works there, too.
    janee_5-1649337729191.png

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e 

Thank you for this! It's really appreciated 🙂 I'm convinced I tried the Direct Selection Tool with no effect, but having just tried it now, it worked first go! 

Again, thank you, I think this will make certain shapes / tasks a bit easier.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @default8wcd4dpnqeru , and I'm glad it's working now. 😊

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines