• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constrain proportion with shift key works like legacy

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to hold the shift key (like legacy format) to constrain proportions. The new update is supposed to constrain by default without holding shift and holding shift should free transform. This happens whether I have "Use Legacy Free Transform" in preferences on or off. The setting in preferences has no effect and it behaves the same either way.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019
In my opinion, everything works as described in this article.

The purpose of the Shift button in the new Free Transform is not to preserve the proportions at all, but to a completely different one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences? Did you ever create a text file to override the preferences when the new transform was released? If so, remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i've tried resetting them, deleting them, uninstall and reinstall of photoshop. i never made an override file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using this on a smart object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i go into the smart object then place an image inside it in the psb. that's where it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place - is it creating a new smart object? This is a bug with smart objects. Holding shift should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't create a new smart object. Does it with any image even a new file placing an image with no other layers. It only constrains when I hold shift, like it used to before the new updates. If I don't hold shift, it is free transform, whether the preferences is set to use legacy or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, everything works as described in this article.

The purpose of the Shift button in the new Free Transform is not to preserve the proportions at all, but to a completely different one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's dumb. So it's different now than it was in 2019 which was different than 2018. I wish they would just stick to an idea instead of screwing with things all the time. Thanks for letting me know that though and giving me the article. I thought I was going crazy(er). I tried so many things and it was so simple once you told me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so glad I found this thread, thought I was going mad that it no longer scaled proportional y when I had just gotten used to it. The legacy check box seems to do nothing and I was about to delete and reinstall. Odd of adobe to keep changing the way something so fundamental works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  j4m1eb,

In addition to the Legacy checkbox, there is a link option in the options bar that can be toggled. Is your link widget on or off? Try toggling it to see if that makes a difference.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thanks yes I had figured that out by wathching the video https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2019/06/new-free-transform-preference-in-photoshop.html that explain the changes to how transform works now. Just weird that they changed it a few times within the last 6 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Just weird that they changed it a few times within the last 6 months."

Hi

Adobe changed the way transform worked in PS 2019 to be constrain by default. This was met by a large outcry from users who wanted to distort their images for various reasons, and Adobe has made several changes since then so users can work as they prefer. I just looked through your link to Julieanne's blog, and as usual, she is thorough and spot on.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines