• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content aware fill greyed out

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, new to PS but I know that something must be selected, and that content aware fill does not work on an adjustment layer or a smart object. I don't believe the layer I am working on is either of these.

I even started a fresh project in photoshop and all I have done is added the photo in and made it fit the size of the page.

When i click  select > Subject >

then  Edit, Fill , stroke, and content aware fill does not allow me to click, it is greyed out.

Then I tried Shift backspace and i get a popup that says "Could not complete your request because the smart object is not directly editable."

I don't know what this means or how to solve it. Please help. Thanks!

Screenshot_20230127_125009.png

 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Hi @Marketing27902106xstn

You can't use Content Aware or any fill directly on a Smart Object.

When you placed your image it automatically created a Smart Object:

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1677621043391.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

If you rasterize the image or double click into the Smart Object,  you can reselect and then use the new Content Aware Fill Workspace (Edit>Content Aware Fill) which will give you greater controls than the traditional Edit>Fill menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit I have tried on a new page with a new photo and this time it is still greyed out but Shift and backspace let me select but after it gives me the pop up "Could not fill because the pixels in a group cannot be edited without merging the group."

Still do not know what this means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something must be selected means layer with pixels that you want to make changes. In your case Layer group is selected in the Layers panel thats why you are getting message "Could not fill because the pixels in a group cannot be edited without merging the group."

group selected error message.jpg

Note: Shift + Backspace will display Fill dialogue which is not exactly the same as Content-Aware Fill workspace which will give you more options. CAF workspace can be invoked using Edit > Content-Aware Fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here again a screenshot of the entire interface would help us help you faster...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for wanting to help, I just added screenshots to this post 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a full size screen shot of your entire UI including the layers panel and the area selected?

BTW you can use CAF on a Smart Object.  You just need to double click to open it in a new window where CAF will then work on raster layers in the SO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for wanting to help, I just added screenshots 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and welcome! By default , if you place an image in a document, you get a smart object, in order to scale it losslessly. You can change this setting in the preferences: Edit(Pc) or Photoshop(Mac)/Preferences/General/ and uncheck "Always Create Smart Objects when Placing"

It is possible to convert the smart object (see the little icon in the corner of its layer thumbnail) to a regular layer, if you right-click on its name in the Layers Panel.

enjoy learning !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

I don't think it is a smart object as when i right click on it,one of the options is "convert to smart object"

Marketing27902106xstn_0-1677619782587.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_20230301_085451.png

 Created a page added a photo and moved it to where I want

Screenshot_20230301_101209.png

 selected off of the image

Screenshot_20230301_101233.png

 selected Subject to have a selection

Screenshot_20230301_101319.png

 expanded selection to 5 pixels

Screenshot_20230301_101336.png

Went to edit and content aware fill is blocked out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marketing27902106xstn

You can't use Content Aware or any fill directly on a Smart Object.

When you placed your image it automatically created a Smart Object:

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1677621043391.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you rasterize the image or double click into the Smart Object,  you can reselect and then use the new Content Aware Fill Workspace (Edit>Content Aware Fill) which will give you greater controls than the traditional Edit>Fill menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! That worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kevin,  Just wondering.... once you double click into the smart object, It opens a new page, Is there any way to do your changes but it will all still be on the original page? or merge them together? Thanks!

Marketing27902106xstn_0-1677624517951.pngMarketing27902106xstn_1-1677624530657.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Marketing27902106xstn once you save and close the embedded smart object it will appear in the original parent file.

This link can help explain more about how to use Smart Objects:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines