• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying FX from one layer to another

Participant ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, I could hold down the option key while moving an FX from one layer to another and it would leave a copy of the FX on the original layer. 

Either they changed something, or I am not pressing the correct keys.

Please help!

MJ

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

😉
first press the [Alt] key and hold it and then drag the FX to the wished layer (your cursor will change to a black/white double arrow)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Okay...got it. I was not holding down the option key in the right sequence. Pilot error!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can still hold down the Option key (macOs) / Alt (Windows) to copy the layer style as you drag it to another layer. As it is being copied, you should see "fx Effects" moving along with your cursor. If it's not, then you may be copying the layer instead of the layer style. Where you click when you hold down Option or Alt is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, you could right-click on the layer that contains the layer style you want to copy, select Copy Layer Style, select the layer where you want to apply that layer style, right-click, and select Paste Layer Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😉
first press the [Alt] key and hold it and then drag the FX to the wished layer (your cursor will change to a black/white double arrow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

I tried the Option key method a dozen times....same as I always did, but it is only moving the set of layer effects. The other suggestion of copying the effects using the right mouse click to get to the Copy Layer Effects and then copying into the other layer works. I don't have cap locks turned on or any other thing I can think of.  Oh well, I can at least accomplish the task.  Thanks to all. MJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the Copy Layer Effects method for the past couple of weeks. It works, but I miss the Option-Drag technique to copy all of the layer effects to the other layer.

I also have a similar issue when trying to Option-Drag a selection on a document. That feature works fine in Illustrator, so it prompted me to look over the Photoshop Prefs. I didn't see a box to check or uncheck regarding this feature. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay...got it. I was not holding down the option key in the right sequence. Pilot error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you found the solution.

But if you only found out today, then you probably haven't read my answer.
😄

😉

By @pixxxelschubser

--> jump to quoted post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines