• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not complete your request because a SOFn, DQT ...

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.51.24.png

This is a weird message from Photoshop, could not open an image !!?

Could not complete your request because a SOFn, DQT or DHT JPEG marker is missing before a JPEG SOS marker.

what is that mean at first place !!! ... Im using MacBook and its up to date, photoshop version is 19, and it was working perfectly, I use it everyday to edit photos and so on.

Now I have one way to avoid this message by take a screenshot of the image and open it, but this is not a solution at all !

I don't know why this message is thrown by Photoshop.

is there anyone have a solution of this error !!!!!!

THANKS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

I have created a free and open-source tool to fix these issues with images. It is easy to use and fast.

Application works for Windows and MacOS as well.

Source code and binaries are available here: https://github.com/cdefgah/whatsapp-jpeg-repair

Instructions are displayed on the page link I provided above (check README.md file).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn’t jump on you JJ Mack I actually thanked you for responding even though I suggested you don’t waste your time on my initial msg and even told you to have a good nights rest at end... well obviously you are still upset about my initial msg where I do admit I may have been a bit harsh but I get really annoyed at ppl who act like know it alls on forums yet offer nothing useful while being rude to someone else’s input/opinion which is what I feel you were being- rude to someone else sharing their opinion. My mail client (outlook) had the email marked with you as the sender directly not the forum so wouldn’t it be logical for me to assume you mailed me directly which I did think was strange till I saw you were moderator n then realized you may have access to my details but again thanks for letting me know is a setting on forum that allows ppls msgs to be mailed to me directly from said person. Now I can go change that in this forum so doesn’t happen again which was obviously an automatic setting but yet again thanks for the info. Have a great n productive day further (for clarity sake this msg was intended to not be jumping on you but rather a polite response and thanks for the info n education provided to me-I hope you see it in this light)

Kind regards

Rowin Raghubir

Also note I responded to email earlier didn’t go back to forum and post which in most forums mails would bounce and not be sent to the sender

Kind Regards

Rowin Raghubir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a moderator and I sent no e-mail.  To change your preferences use the pull down in the top forum bar next to your avatar image and click preferences.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What useful words JavierRz , Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to open a file (some low-res jpg from WhatsApp) I had the same warning from Ps.

The "solution" was open the "corrupted file" in another image program then save as a new jpg, try again in Ps and it worked.

Software like Irfanview, the old ACDSee32 and ms Paint opened the file, but Ps doesn't.

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Before last upgrade, this happened rarely. Now, lots of JPG files fail to open in both 2018 and 2019 Photoshops. Yet, it is possible open those files in Photoshop Elements and Camera RAW (which I use as workaround to get them into Photoshop). As it was told here, many softwares are able to open those images, including Microsoft Paint! (I'm PC user).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Camera RAW works nice when you have lots of pictures

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only just seen this discussion(new to forum) and just started a discussion on Nov 30th and replied to a suggestion earlier. It was suggested I open my file in editor and then open with camera raw but I couldn't do it. Same message about a missing marker before a JPG SOS marker. What I have done is convert the JPG file to a BMP file and it has worked but as someone pointed out having to do this with every file is time consuming. Also is it the correct thing to do? I downloaded the images via What's App originally taken with a Galaxy S8 mobile. My son wondered if What's App have encrypted the pics.

Regards Glenys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I work on a MacBook Pro, so if you have a Mac, this should help.

My workaround is the following:

Open the WhatsApp picture by double clicking it, and it should open the image in  "Preview"

Once you have the image open in Preview, choose "Export..." from the File tab.

Choose one of the other formats from the dropdown menu, click save.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 11.29.28 AM.png

I was able to open my file in Photoshop CC in all the formats

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 11.36.34 AM.png

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the issue, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The Jpeg format didn't work for me but tiff did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact ... Solution what the User Pro should have done from the beginning.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tip. It solved the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. Thanks wheeler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're my savior bro!! Thanks!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked.  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There does seem to be a common thread here of whatsapp. I've done some reseach and found that whatsapp will automatically reduce the quality and resolution of JPEG files you send. So when it arrives at the other end, it's leaving out stuff that Photoshop needs. There are ways, however, to send the full quality JPEG with whatapp. Discussed here - https://www.guidingtech.com/69774/full-resolution-whatsapp/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have come across this issue. i open the image in Lr CC and then right click on the image and choose Edit in Ps CC 2019, then you  just save your image under a new name. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very weird discussion I had ever seen specially from pros.

They are keeping argue about if should professional and expensive software should bypass a small error and open the file or not.

The correct answer in not hiding behind argues.

After all it seems that the photoshop the pro and the most expensive software pagake in photo editing is wavering for people's requests by Rikk Flohr from LR Ecosystem in that post

Can’t import Images from whatsapp

After all photoshop after Jun 2018 updates should open WhatsApp images without prompting any errors.

I was using another professional software that bypass that error and "without the arrogance suffered by the Photoshop staff members" the software called ACDsee ... ahh by the way ... Adobe Bridge is another professional software that can bypass the error and let you preview your whatsApp images without errors.

So I am using ACDSee and Adobe Bridge to reconvert the images to be able to open it in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Photoshop users site where Photoshop users can help each other out here.  Your are not dealing with Adobe support here. Some Adobe Staff do drop by from time to time.  Most here will agree Adobe support should be better than it is. Photoshop has many bugs that should be fixed. Adobe does not fix all buge and it takes Adobe a long time to fix some bugs. So one need to be able to work around Adobe bugs the bite them.  I always have more than a single version of Photoshop installed  CS6 and CC 2014 are quite stable and have fewer bugs then newer versions of Photoshop.

If you want to give Adobe your feedback please use Adobe Feedback site. Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also encountered this message recently related to WhatsApp image download, I did was I open it in analog efex pro or fx photo studio pro and save as jpeg. problem solve I can now open in Photoshop. this is just my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the file extension as a tiff. Eg. "filemname.tiff" That should work. That issue usually happens with downloaded WhatsApp images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hotspot01, I and others on this forum tried that trick, but it doesn't work. Something inside the coding of the downloaded Whatsapp image is what causes photoshop to issue an error message. Therefore, the WhatsApp image needs to be opened and saved in another application before it can be opened in photoshop.

Hope that helps.

Natalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend to open your file in default viewer, then you have to click in edit, and save a copy, but make sure that the file extension be JPG not .JPG

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:

If you have access to a Windows machine, open an app called "Paint". Just about all Windows computers will have this app. Just do a search.

After you have opened Paint, go to: File, Open, then navigate to the photo you want to open and open it.

Then go to the menu and click "Save as, rename the image, I just add an X to the end of the file name (But before the .jpg).

Now you should be able to open the image in Photoshop.

I feel Mac certain has something like Paint that comes with the OS. I do not know for sure though as I moved back to Windows many years ago.

And I agree, Photoshop SHOULD be able to open this. If Paint can open it, why in the world can Photoshop not?

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines