• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me say that this has NOT been answered for those just coming… Because the first reply is says answered.

I have try AFP and SMB and both on and off… Still same problem.

network env… mavericks server, 10 clients from 10.6.x and 10.7… cs 3-5… all is fine..

Just installed Yosemite Client with cs6.. I am now experiencing the issue.  No other application is having write access not granted with the exception of 10.10 CS6..

I have tried turning on and off previews.. kill time machine… anything that may be touching the file.  still no go..

For Adobe to say " we don't support server" solutions is not living in the real production world.  An artist, at the very least should be able to open a file on a server, do a crop or some other simple adjustment and do a save.  It should be  that simple.. but no can do..

Adobe, would you please apprise us as to where Adobe is on this issue.  What is the latest update?

Thank you,

vix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still an issue with mac servers?  Have a client who is running a Win 2008 box and gets the error and looking at moving to a mac mini solution with Thunderbolt 2 storage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keyboardsilliness wrote:

Adobe, would you please apprise us as to where Adobe is on this issue.  What is the latest update?

Thank you,

vix

Just so you know, this is a user-to-user forum. Some Adobe folks do stop by on occasion, but don't hold your breath.

In an effort to answer to your question, however; you may or may not have seen this:

Illustrator support for networks and removable media

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem we are having is strictly PHOTOSHOP..

I also tried creating a 2nd acct on mac client.. still same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, any solution in sight? we have this problem brand new since we updated to yosemite and mac os x server 4. It is only Photoshop CS5.5 wich brings up this problem. We have some macs accessing the server every one has the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the massage is: Konnte "Unbenannt-1.jpg" nicht speichern, weil kein Schreibzugriff erteilt wurde.

The file is invisible/deleted afterwards. If you save as it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already explained several times in this topic: the problem always turns out to be the permissions, the server, an OS bug, or the disk.

Photoshop is just reporting the error that it gets from the OS, and the OS really thinks that you do not have permission to save the file in that location for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, Ok but what is the fix. Reinstall OS X? Fix Access rights? Thank you Johann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you need to fix the permissions on the location in question.  Sometimes that means fixing permissions on the entire drive.

And sometimes this happens due to permissions issues on servers, and in the past has happened due to bugs in the OS (which were fixed a while back).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use external drives on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" 500g with 8g RAM. I never save locally, so, I format my externals as exFAT and the issue disappears. Not a guess, a solution. I use five externals and all of them save in Photoshop CS5 Ext. (Windows 7) and CS6 Ext. (Yosemite).

Format as exFAT. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kelly, I'll try that. A work around will have to do for now. Thanks very much for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. It was a guess on my own, originally, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an answer to this yet. The answer marked correct at the top of this forum says to upgrade to 10.8. I'm on 10.10 and still having this issue with photoshop. I really need to use photoshop and find it incredibly frustrating that there is no support for this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has been answered dozens of times, including in the post right before yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, how is that an answer. The complaints in this thread identify that permissions are set to read and write (which mine are and always have been). Is there something more that needs to be done? If so, kindly identify what it is. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous responses...

The permissions are NOT set to allow you to read and write - which is why you are getting an error telling you that the OS says you don't have permission to write in that location.

You have to fix the permissions on the location where you are trying to save the file.

In some cases, the permissions issues were due to OS bugs, and server bugs - but I think those were fixed a few years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

There are 384 posts in this thread. Which particular ones do you identify as helpful.

My photoshop permissions are marked as read and write. Are you suggesting that despite this, they are not actually set as displayed? If you could identify (by post number) which of your posts you suggest as useful, I'd be happy to seek support by referring to them. Of the 50+ that I have read, none have yet proved helpful or useful.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by reading the staff and host replies.

Photoshop permissions mean nothing -- YOU need permission to save in the directory/volume that you are trying to save to.

The OS is giving a permissions error because you do NOT have permission to write to that directory.

It's very simple - if you don't have permission to write in the place you are trying to write a file, you will get an error because you don't have permission to write there.

To fix that, you change the permissions, or save to another location where you do have permission to write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Which particular 'staff replies' do you suggest are useful?  You will see from posts as recent as number 372 that users of this forum have not been able to identify where the answer is apparently set out.

Saying that "it's very simple" is ignorant. This question is being asked (so many times) because it plainly is not simple. I have full permission on the finder directory that the document is being saved to. I can save every other file type to that directory - however photoshop throws an error.

If you could kindly identify (by reference to post number) the staff entry that addresses this problem, I'd very much appreciate the support for photoshop on mac.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very simple -- the OS says you do not have permission to write to the location you are trying to write to.  So you have to go fix the directory or volume permissions that are preventing you from writing a file in that location.  Until you fix the permissions so the OS will allow you to write files in that location, the OS will continue to give you errors about not being able to write in that location.

Photoshop does not throw an error - the OS gives an error, and Photoshop reports that error to you.  The OS and filesystem maintain the permissions, not the application.  The OS enforces those permissions, not the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the permissions are in fact incorrectly set, why is that, most of the time, the files save without issue? Why does the issue never occur with any other file except (at least in our case) one created by Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To know that, you'd have to know exactly why the OS gave the error in the first place (fileserver API problem, real permissions problem, conflict with temporary files, OS bug, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

My permissions on the directory that I am writing to has read and write permissions. Every other kind of file saves to it. Photoshop is the only file type (when saving for web and other devices) that throws this error.

If it were simple, surely it wouldn't be necessary to cross examine the answer out of this "support" forum.

If you could kindly refer me to the particular post (by reference number) where the answer is set out, I would appreciate adobe's support for photoshop on mac.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what the bombardment of emails hitting my inbox notifying me that 'reply marked as helpful' are supposed to mean. The first of them directs me to a message from more than 2 years ago telling me to upgrade to OSX 10.8 when I am currently on 10.10.  I'll look outstide Adobe's "support" forum for help with Adobe's apparent unsupported photoshop issue. This forum is a complete waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make new user on server.

Voila! All work normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines