• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cracked Texture Aligned with Font Direction? - how to?

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a close up picture of a coffee mug from IHOP (International House of Pancakes). As you can see in the photo here, the ink of the IHOP letters have a cracked texture. But the 'cracking' aligns or flows in the direction of the font or letters. (Look at the photo at 100%)

ANY THOUGHTS on how to reproduce this effect?

I am making or mimicking this font with other text - but I want the same cracked ink look.

THANKS!!

AJ

crackle-fx.png 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop that seems difficult and may ultimately need pretty much manual painting. 

But you could certainly create a Brush (or several) with scraggly lines. 

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 08.31.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not entirely sure what you are after but you've mentioned a directional texture, so see if this helps.

Make your Type layer and go Type > Create Work Path

image.png

Now you need your texture to be in the form of a brush preset.  I am going to use this Aaron Blaise hair preset

image.png

It's Angle Jitter is already set to Direction but that doesn't work for our purpose so I have roated the brush 90°

image.png

Now add a layer above the type layer, and clip it to the Type layer.

Note I have made the text a lighter colour to better contrast the texture.

Select the clipped layer.

Select a contrasting colour.

Right click the work path and chose Stroke Path

When the dialog box appears choose Brush, and makes sure Simulate Pressure is not checked.

I played with brush size and spacing for best effect, but I think you'll get the idea

image.png

Just to clarify, the brush follows the path which outlines the text, so if we unclip the layer we can the full effect of the stroked path.  

image.png

There are all sorts of options you can use from here.  Turn off the Type layer, but use it to create a layer mask for the layer with the stroked path, and invert the layer mask for instance.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines