Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a silouet / mask / ? of a drawing in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am sure, I am just using the wrong terms when looking for ist, but I just cannot find a solution. Sorry if it is a too simple question.

I have a "line drawn figure" (can be quite complex within the body) and would like to create a white background on a different layer behind it, that matches the exact shape of the figure. I tried using the magic wand on the outside, then reverse it, but just cannot figure out, how to move that outline to a different layer.

Example A:

In simple terms, let's say I have a closed circe line. I want to get a background that fits perfectly behind the circle. How do I do that (wihtout drawing another circle ... I cannot easily redraw the outline of the figure)?

Example B:

Given the drawing is quite complex, sometimes the outside lines don't completly touch (although they should...). Let's say it is a circle with a little break in the line. Is there still a way to create a background for the full circle?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to duplicate the layer and apply a layer mask to the copy on the bottom layer that adds a white color overlay. Here's how:

1. Select the drawing layer in the Layers panel.
  2. Drag it to the + button at the bottom to duplicate it (you can also duplicate a layer once it's selected by going to the Layers panel menu and selecting Duplicate Layer... or by going to Layer > New > Layer Via Copy...).
  3. Select the lower version of that layer in the Layers panel
  4. Double-click to the right of the name of the layer and in the Layer Styles dialog select Color Overlay or go to Layer > Layer Styles > Color Overlay...
  5. In the Color Overlay settings on the right side (if you don't see these settings, click anywhere between the checkmark and the + where Color Overlay is selected on the left side of the Layer Style dialog), set the Blend Mode to Normal, the color to white (or whatever the desired color is), and the Opacity to 100, and click OK.

If you add a Color Overlay to a duplicate of the layer, that lower layer will be obscured by the layer above it, so you may need to move either layer or make the lower layer larger or blurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
2 hours ago 2 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Myra,

thank you very much for the reply. But that unfortunately marks only the lines of the figure. There is a lot of transparent space within the figure, which is left out.

So if I did it correctly, only the actual lines that were present are now overlayed. But I need the whole figure in one color (including space within the figure). The aim, rather than coloring the figure, to have a specific background behind the figure, that matches exactly the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines