• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create clipping mask shortcut not working on new mac - HELP! (plus strange white bar)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've been using photoshop for 25+ years, and in all the time it has existed, the shortcut for create clipping mask on a layer has been opt-cmd-G

I've just got a new mac studio, and this command WILL NOT WORK - even in the photoshop layers menu, and in edit>keyboard shortcuts it tells me this is still the command... (latest photoshop and mac OS)

I suspect the mac has got some override going on stopping this working, but it's doing my head in completely not being able to do this by a shortcut - anyone know how to fix this??

Secondly, this strange withe bar has appeared with the name of the current tab in it, and I'm sure it wasn't there before but can't igure out how to get rid of it either, and it looks unsightly - so, anyone know how to get rid of it?

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 13.33.12.png

I want it to look like this (without the ugly white bar)
Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 13.39.43.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

ahhh - got it working! But will post the answer here in case it bothers anyone else!
Google drive has used the same shortcut to start a google drive search, so it overrides photoshop and stops it working - can be turned off in google drive prefrences!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also worth noting, I HATE the application frame view - I want to see and will often be clicking back and forward to other open documents so don't want everything behind photoshop hidden with a big grey box!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of macOS and photoshop are you using?

If you don't already know you can turn off the Application Frame from the Window menu.

When your using Floating Document Windows the color of the Document Title Bar corresponds to the macOS Dark or Light setting under Apple>System Settings (System Preferences)>Appearance or General

Can you post a screenshot of the layers panel for a document that Clipping Mask is not woring on?

Have you tried the Opt click method in the layers panel to create a clipping mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks Jeff - yeah, I know how to turn off the application frame, was just excluding it as I suspected it was going to be the answer I got - "turn on application frame!"
I'm on mac OS 13.3 and photoshop 24.3

Option click method does work fine, but I just can't understand why the shortcut isn't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ahhh - got it working! But will post the answer here in case it bothers anyone else!
Google drive has used the same shortcut to start a google drive search, so it overrides photoshop and stops it working - can be turned off in google drive prefrences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines