• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Clipping Layers on Clipping Layers?

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if it is possible to create a clipping layer for a clipping layer! For example, let's say I have painted a circle with a flat color. Now, I want to paint half of it with a darker color, and make sure I don't go outside the lines of the circle, so I create a clipping layer. Very good.

Now, what if I want to create a clipping layer just for the area I painted darker, to make sure I don't go outside of those lines?

I feel like there must be a way. I used a circle to keep it simple, but if I'm creating a character, I might want to work over and over on just, say, his arm with many layers, and make sure I always stay within the arm. 

Thank you!

Austin 🙂

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you can make a simply a shape for this and split in half and do wht you like...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can unerstand you well then use below clipped layer to create selection from transparency (Ctrl + click on layer) then use that selection to create layer mask for above clipped layer. Mask will not update automatically if you change content of layer which is used to load selection, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this does what you describe. With Layers structured something like this:

Semaphoric_1-1645591166866.png

Select the base layer, and Image > Calculations, set up like this:

Semaphoric_2-1645591452013.png

You can combine the transparencies with any Blending Mode for different results, and Result can be a selection, as here, or a new channel document.

Painting in a new layer, within the selection:

Semaphoric_4-1645593208205.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines