• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creator Terminology such as "mockups", "plug ins" ect. What are they?

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am fairly new to PS and I frequently visit sites that sale fonts, icons, illustrations ect. But I would like to know what is exactly and how does a brush work as well as a mockups and plug ins?

Also how are fonts created, is there like a general template?

Thx!

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Fonts: Fonts (in general) need to be vector data and Font creation needs special software (but as far as I know free options are available). 

It is not simple – a proper font consists of many, many letters, numbers, accents etc.

• Mock-ups: In Photoshop this would usually refer to images in which one can insert custom designs to visualize how they would look on covers, t-shirts etc. 

Practically this needs to be done with Smart Objects in Photoshop.

Proper 3D applications naturally offer superior options but also more complexity. 

• »how does a brush work«: What do you mean exactly?

Assuming you have already used a Brush what was unclear about its workings? 

Have you looked up the difference of plain Brushees, Erodible Brushes, Bristle Brushes, Sampled Brushe on helpx yet? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-modifying-brushes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mockup is a full scale design

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockup

In Photoshop it may include dummy text, effects attached to layers, etc., so you can replace the psd with your images and text

A brush works as it does in real life, except in real life you need to purchase many brushes. In Photoshop, you choose one and start painting.

A plug-in is an add-on program written by others that can do something that Photoshop cannot do out of the box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop_plugin

Most typefaces are created by type designers, but you can try this from an Adobe blog page:

https://makeitcenter.adobe.com/en/blog/how-to-make-your-own-font.html

Jane

EDIT: C.P. was faster!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: C.P. was faster!

Yeah, but I may have used a very limited interpretation of »mock-up«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As fas as mock ups - I am looking to design a shirt with realistic images. For example, I want to put a picture of a real briefcase on a business shirt. Can I use a mockup and an employee's name and subsequently screen print onto a shirt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CheeseHead05 

It depends on the mockup, which is really just a starter document. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are the dependant variables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are the dependant variables?

By @CheeseHead05

If it does want you are trying to do — or if it doesn't. You are looking for a picture and text. A mockup is a starter document.

How well do you know Photoshop? If you have basic skills then you don't need a mockup. If you don't, you need to spend some time learning the application. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my art placed on a product mockup to send to a manufacturer. I get mockups from a free website, and sometimes I make my own. You do need a modicum of Photoshop ability to do this but it isn't that hard. It's helpful to have knowledge of shadows etc:

ADObE-F-JUST-ADD-WATER-PILLOW-12x12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this, Leslie!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This seems like a good article on font creation. I have no connection with the website, I found it just now in a Google search. But it covers the basics.

The Ultimate Guide on How to Create a Font

It is a lot of work, with a lot of hand tuning involved to make the hundreds of character designs flow together as a single consistent system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines